• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 Portland Or

Price: $2500

Description:

My friend in Portland sent me this listing so I thought I’d share here. It’s just the kind of car I’d be crazy enough to restore. No telling from the photos how bad the rust is. It’s definitely an early 1600 probably a 67. Notice the swan neck mirror, 10 slat grille, chrome dash with an interesting tach mounted on left side of dash. I bet this car has stories to tell. BTW I have no affiliation with this add just sharing 

PORTLAND.CRAIGSLIST.ORG

1968 Bmw 1600 manual transmission Great candidate for restoration or parts car See the pictures Clean title...

IMG_1689.png

Edited by 72pdx02

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 12:49 AM, popovm said:

Was just going to post this. I am trying to figure if there is an engine in the engine bay or if the rusty block in the trunk is it. The nose looks a little high for there to be an engine in the front.

😕

Dollars to doughnuts: that rusty hunk in the trunk is THE engine block! Agreeing with @Zak, I’d guess the VIN is somewhere from 1560001 to 1561250.

Given everything going on here — what’s happening on the roof? — I think this is “ambitiously priced”…

But I would love to see some brave soul restore it! 🙌

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Conserv said:

Dollars to doughnuts: that rusty hunk in the trunk is THE engine block! Agreeing with @Zak, I’d guess the VIN is somewhere from 1560001 to 1561250.

Given everything going on here — what’s happening on the roof? — I think this is “ambitiously priced”…

But I would love to see some brave soul restore it! 🙌

Regards,

Steve

Oof. I didn't notice the roof. Looks rusted all the way through all around the perimeter. I am afraid to see what the underside/frame rails look like. I think I see holes in the rockers. The shock towers (driver's side at least) in the trunk look decent. 

If I had unlimited space, and a working, spare engine and transmission I'd take a flyer for $500 and hate my life for a couple years. $2500? I know it's a different era (and car) from 2020 when I bought my running and driving '76 for $3000 but this price is still WAY too high. Hopefully it gets saved. 

Edited by popovm