• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to sort 1600

Thank you so much… 

since I am getting the impression that fiddling with the current setup may not be worth the time, should I just get a kit (like Ireland Engineering) and swap to big disks all around?

If you wind up needing a bunch of parts you might as well upgrade IMHO.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 5/1/2024 at 6:20 AM, Pagan said:

Thank you so much… 

since I am getting the impression that fiddling with the current setup may not be worth the time, should I just get a kit (like Ireland Engineering) and swap to big disks all around?

If you can find the parts separately, it will be far cheaper to DIY.  But if you don't have good parts sources

or luck with the internet roulette, that's always an option.

The only reason to go to rear discs is to help with pedal travel.  Otherwise, the shoes work fine.

and yes, IF your current system needs parts replaced, then I'd replace them with bigger parts!

But if a bleed, adjusting the rears, and maybe some pads does it, run what you have and if you don't like it

THEN start putting together the bigger parts.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 4/30/2024 at 9:37 PM, TobyB said:

Having 'been there and done that' in your loafers I'd find a couple of 

late 320I hubs, some vented Volvo calipers, and buy a pair of 1977 vented rotors.

And then find some 0.070" fender washers, and have big front brakes.

I had an 02 with Volvo calipers, 77 320i vented rotors and braided lines. It stopped on a dime, a very noticeable improvement. But, you can't fit all 13" wheels over those calipers. I ran 14" wheels. If I ever fit the vented rotors again, I'll fit the corresponding 320i calipers so that I can run 13" wheels. The aluminum Brembo Alfa calipers from those wedge shaped late model Alfa GTVs also work for this application. But, I heard they flex when they get hot. I have some in my stash, but I doubt I'll ever use them.

I had a set of wheels I liked, and extra calipers, so I slotted them,

and then went at the outer protruding bits of caliper with prejudice

and an 8" grinder.  The calipers fit before I hit brake fluid-

there's quite a bit of casting to grind.

until there isn't.

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

18 hours ago, TobyB said:

I had a set of wheels I liked, and extra calipers, so I slotted them,

and then went at the outer protruding bits of caliper with prejudice

and an 8" grinder.  The calipers fit before I hit brake fluid-

there's quite a bit of casting to grind.

until there isn't.

heh

t

Yep…. Plenty of space until there isnt!

pulled off rear wheels today and was pleasantly surprised to see things appeared in fair shape.. unfortunately the “spare” shoes I had didnt fit and O’Rielly’s shoes turned out to be a pair of front pads to something or other… 

delaying brake bleed until new MC and rear shoes arrive.. 

also discovered that while the PO installed a nice set of H&R springs with urethane upper pads, they left the lower pads in a bag in the tote of spare parts that came with the car so I am waiting on a pair of amazon spring compressors… the joy of wrenching on a vintage car.. 

difference is now this is a toy… in college it was a daily driver that I needed to get to school and to work at the Godfather’s Pizza every night!

With the lowering springs you may not need the spring compressors when the cars jacked up the springs will hang free. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

Thank you… thats what I was hoping but the springs are a progressive rate and even with the car jacked up and the rear suspension hanging they had enough tension not the clear the “hat” on the bottom perch…. Damn progressive rate nonsense!!!! 🤣

Can hardly wait to see what silliness awaits in the front!😳

Edited by Pagan

This is pretty normal for a 'track' car.

You start stock.  Then you get good enough so that something in the car's holding you back.

So you fix that.  Then you get better, and get frisky, and start changing things, and changing

them again.

Some help, some make it worse, and eventually you get it the way you like it.

But the way you got there is non- linear, and only the most obsessive keep detailed notes

of exactly what's what.  Often, the result's known, but the bits and pieces that add up to it are...

well, they're parts and pieces you acquired along the way.  

Then someone else gets the car, and NONE of it makes any sense, because the non- linear path's not there.

And suddenly the PO is an idiot for using parts of this kit, parts of that one, and springs from a truck.

Because the new owner tries to 'fix' the car, and 'fixing' it is really hard without some idea of what the path did.

It looks wrong without the path to getting there- but looks don't matter, really, to a suspension geometry.

I bought a racecar once.  It was pretty good as- found: certainly worth every penny I paid for it, and more.

But lots of the 'solutions' on it- like the Mazda pickup alternator- didn't make a lot of sense.

Fortunately, the PO and the PO's guru were still around, so I got most of the story, eventually.

I did, after a few years, take it all off to make it my own, but that was in search of adjustability that the 

PO did not want- he wanted to set it up once, and drive it.  I'm not that good a driver, but I taught myself 

a bit about setup and learned to datalog, and the fixed answers limited that.

You'll find something that looks silly, but worked well for someone.

This is why I don't really get the 'vintage racecar' thing as it applies to anything more than pretty cars.

t

Rear adjustment and brake bleeding did wonders.. the rear shoes could still stand to be replaced (2 different suppliers have sent me the wrong ones 😡) but they are working pretty well now.. the “fluid” that was in there looked more akin to mud and bleeding/flushing them today was rewarding and a great daddy/daughter project.

thanks everyone for your help!

Now on to suspension… but thats for a new thread!!IMG_9994.thumb.jpeg.8fcc026b3f4703e670c99c692a5cca84.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

After several attempts at sourcing brake shoes to fit the stock set up and failing, does anyone have a line on a pair of 320 rear brake assemblies?

Edited by Pagan