• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 2002ti hard start

Fuel issue, more than likely. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the best system for my Weber 32/36. Today's gas evaporates much faster than the blends most carbureted engines were designed for.

Thank you for the reply. I have tried that technique when cold and has been sitting for days.  I do pump first and feather the throttle to light it up. Again warm start or siting for hours starts right up. Plugs: my memory is I am running a little hotter plug. Idle is great, car runs strong as ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if there is insufficient fuel in the bowls at startup, the plugs won't do a thing. If you are experiencing "more" evaporation faster, have you changed fuel or perishing connections? I remember it took forever to fill the bowls with the mechanical pump...unless you pull the plugs to speed up the starter. I'm not sure who to believe on evaporation of E5 and E10 fuels, haven't really read into it. 

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I have this problem with my 2002 TI. The fuel leaks out of the carbs, you can test for this by filling some fuel in the carbs through the fuel line and see if it starts right up. I also put in a one-way valve in the fuel line to keep fuel from backing up completely. I use a really little funnel that fits into the fuel line.You might need lower carb gaskets, I think that's my problem. Your car symptoms sound exactly like mine. The health of your mechanical fuel pump may also be an issue. Good luck with it, Let us know what you find out. All the best, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum