• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Race header system is this?

11 minutes ago, markmac said:

I can't imagine how hot the interior was of that M49 CSL with the dual 4" straight pipes. 

It's not that bad actually, your mind is so numb from the noise you don't notice the heat.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I'm pretty sure my floor is not raised but maybe side wall is pushed in?  Yes it's good to have spares however, i have a fabricator and can redo/fix the exhaust if ever needed.    I'll probably list it for sale as well as  the head.  Paul 

This is right hand car- so i'm not following the header customized for left hand car (I don't get how that would fit?).

More photos attached.    The passenger floor is raised a bit- for the main exhaust tube/pipe.  You may or may not need to do this- just depends on how you route the pipe below car after you connect to the four header pipes.

The spare head looks to be a 121T.   The head on the current race engine is a E12.

BMW 2002 Header 5.jpg

BMW 2002 Header 6.jpg

BMW 2002 Header 7.jpg

4 minutes ago, pjoyaux said:

This is right hand car- so i'm not following the header customized for left hand car (I don't get how that would fit?).

BMW 2002 Header 7.jpg

Your picture shows it as a LEFT HAND DRIVE car.  The header was designed for a Right hand drive car with the steering box and shaft on the exhaust side of the engine bay.  Seems like a lot of extra bends and heat issues that are not needed in your car.   

• Like 2

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

DUH- it is left hand- i had the wrong perspective.  I was thinking the longer than usual pipes were good for flow- that it was a purposeful design.  I've seen exhausts like this in 2 liter sportsracers (chevron, elva, crossle, etc. that use BMW engines) - to me this seems pretty normal compared to what i see on those cars.... 

take a look at this BAT auction for a Lester Owen Sportsracer M10 engine- lots of pipe length-  design is different than mine but regardless there is lots of pipe length...

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a BMW M10 Racing Engine at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #46,734.

There is a bit of science to it - well beyond my pea brain to decipher, but others here did a pretty fantastic job I will say.  A fair amount of info in the post I started a few weeks back.....I am still working on figuring.  The answer is I believe - two exhausts that can be interchanged, one with muffler(s) that goes out the back end and one straight pipe out the side - when you can run unrestricted.  Just $$$

52 minutes ago, pjoyaux said:

I've seen exhausts like this in 2 liter sportsracers (chevron, elva, crossle, etc. that use BMW engines) - to me this seems pretty normal compared to what i see on those cars.... 

If you look at the actual primary tube diameter and length the headers used on the mid engined sports cars and formula cars are the same as the sedans.  The difference is the packaging of the entire engine bay.  There are often frame tubes, suspension pieces and even bodywork that dictates that the exhaust has to run much higher and straight out the back of the car compared to in a front engine sedan.  All other things being equal straighter pipes flow better.

• Like 2

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I love the fact that they tucked the exhaust into the floor.   I think I have a 3" exhaust to tuck up under the car, It never occured to me to do that.  I expect that you would have to do so if you wanted to have under body aero. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I kind of think you have to if you have a large diameter exhaust.  The OD of my collector that would attach to the straight pipe is 62.5mm (2.46").  The 'high' spot of my floor board is 5.75".  Bottom line I think is the higher the better.

18 hours ago, pjoyaux said:

take a look at this BAT auction for a Lester Owen Sportsracer M10 engine- lots of pipe length-  design is different than mine but regardless there is lots of pipe length...

It's a unique design - as mentioned previously, tell potential buyers about any mods required and sell-away. (send them this link for the discussion). GLWS.

17 hours ago, Preyupy said:

If you look at the actual primary tube diameter and length the headers used on the mid engined sports cars and formula cars are the same as the sedans.  The difference is the packaging of the entire engine bay.  There are often frame tubes, suspension pieces and even bodywork that dictates that the exhaust has to run much higher and straight out the back of the

car compared to in a front engine sedan.  All other things being equal straighter pipes flow better.

A couple of photos of the not-overly-bendy headers I'm using (in a 2002, obviously)..

...the 4->2->1 design also means no 4-pipe collector hanging down. -KB

pw-header-studs-installed.thumb.jpg.621ccf0b2a369b204df675e77ad5599f.jpg

pw-header-collector.thumb.jpg.3d80423a04b1b3292d23d875fb85c1de.jpg

pw-header-clearance.thumb.jpg.4671da534e80941681fd7c738bdac3f7.jpg

• Like 2