• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber DCOE sidedraft question

2 hours ago, visionaut said:

FWIW, that’s really not a correct bellmouth shape and the foam ‘filtration’ looks too thin… Plus most 40s are slot-in, do they come with the needed inserts?

They do not come with the inserts or gaskets

2 hours ago, HobieDog said:

best" filter setup for the DCOE's? 

IMO is the original Ti air can boosts low end torque to the point you can go up a size on your chokes and plenty of top end, back in the day BMW had a dyno and knew how to use it.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

10 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

They do not come with the inserts or gaskets

They don’t need a gasket, but if you’ve got 40 DCOEs with bolt-on style trumpets you should get a set of these to prevent your Aux Venturii rattling around…

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-accessories/car-air-filters-trumpets/bolt-on-trumpets/99903-922-weber-dcoe-trumpet-sleeve/

IMG_2502.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I've been running my 45dcoes for decades. I've done the foam sock airfilters and finally built a custom airbox around a datsun 240z air filter element. 1st version used short stacks and the latest uses larger stacks with a different cover. The latest one and the longer stacks have worked out really well.  The longer stacks make a little more torque lower down.

newfilter02.jpg

newairbox016.JPG

newairbox010.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg Mierz said:

I've been running my 45dcoes for decades. I've done the foam sock airfilters and finally built a custom airbox around a datsun 240z air filter element. 1st version used short stacks and the latest uses larger stacks with a different cover. The latest one and the longer stacks have worked out really well.  The longer stacks make a little more torque lower down.

newfilter02.jpg

newairbox016.JPG

newairbox010.JPG

That looks great, what did you use to make it?

6 hours ago, Greg Mierz said:

1st version used short stacks and the latest uses larger stacks with a different cover. The latest one and the longer stacks have worked out really well.  The longer stacks make a little more torque lower down.

Longer stacks will aid midrange, but if you put the bellmouth too close to a ‘wall’ it hurts the bellmouth performance. You ideally want 1 stack diameter of free space in front of the bellmouth…

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

The dome cover is from an M60 v8 valley cover with a custom built backing plate. I did a valley pan replacement years ago and kept the old one thinking about a new filter assembly. The cover is almost 2 liters in volume so the "stack headroom" is much better than my original. Patric at Midnight Motorsports did the TIG welding for me. The filter clears the Tii booster with "just" enough to not hit in reverse. It is an improvement over my old one and I'm pleased with its performance and looks. I feel good that my original design has been copied by others by my first was 30 years ago!

newairbox007.JPG

P3270232 (2).jpg

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:03 PM, jp5Touring said:

Since we got side tracked a bit.  I have Tim Jason Performance air cleaner.

He will basically make everything to your spec. 

I have the same airbox setup, but K&N no longer makes a filter to fit it.  It was basically a thinner version of the 240Z filter.   I phoned Tim Jason, but he didn't have any either.  So my airbox sits on a shelf, and I'm using foam socks.  Would love to find a filter source for this.