• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different 336 Schrick Versions?

I was measuring an older NOS 90s Schrick 336 cam I bought a few years back and noticed the cam lobes don’t quite measure the advertised 9.5/9.2mm intake and exhaust lift. Im getting 9.2/8.9 as best as I can measure above the base circle. The serial number certainly is 336 but it’s measuring somewhere between 336 and the current 328. 

Were there changes to the schrick 336 specs over time? I notice now schrick quotes it as 9.5/8.5 on their website even. 

IMG_2275.jpeg

There have been changes, for sure.

Beyond that, I don't know much more.

Given that Schrick's been developing cams

since these cars were new, it makes sense that they'd

improve them as they went.  

And things they learn about one engine can, with care, 

often be applied to many different engines that share similar dimensions

or quirks.

I guess that's why they describe them by their duration at >1mm, rather

than other, more specific values that, frankly, tell

more about what the cam will do in an engine.

t

basically a gratuitous bump-

having a local-ish cam grinder made it cost- ineffective to 'trust the doctor'

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It says schrick as a raised part of the casting. It’s an older unused cam I bought off Eric Kerman. It’s clearly a 336 it’s just the the specs I’m getting on the lobes using digital caliper method fall short of published specs. 

2 hours ago, 2002GT3CAR said:

It says schrick as a raised part of the casting. It’s an older unused cam I bought off Eric Kerman. It’s clearly a 336 it’s just the the specs I’m getting on the lobes using digital caliper method fall short of published specs. 

I'm not questioning the authenticity, I was thinking that when they changed the blanks, maybe they subbed out the grinding and the new grinds match the specs, while the older stock was slightly different. Show where you took measurements, and I can measure mine, since I have a new version available to measure, if that's valuable information to you.

It was about 3 years ago Schrick started to out source it's cam blanks and that's when the logo was switched from the cast in Schrick to the engraved one's, I have no information on how the new blanks compare to the old in spec's or quality. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, Furry Camel said:

I'm not questioning the authenticity, I was thinking that when they changed the blanks, maybe they subbed out the grinding and the new grinds match the specs, while the older stock was slightly different. Show where you took measurements, and I can measure mine, since I have a new version available to measure, if that's valuable information to you.

Using my digital calipers the smallest diameter on both the intake and exhaust lobes measures 25.2mm. The peak of the intake lobe is 34.4mm and exhaust is 34.1mm. That’s how I’m getting 9.2 and 8.9mm. Maybe this isn’t precise but it’s enough of a difference from published specs that I noticed. I’m trying to get every last hp out of this new build so if there is a more aggressive 336 version I want THAT lol

• Haha 2

I've measured a few, have not seen 9.5/9.2 mm of cam lift on a Schrick 336 (which they spec as a 336/328).

The first Schrick in chart below was an early/earlier "Dr Schrick" casting blank; the second Schrick the new-type billet with laser-etched part number. The cams below that are some custom units I've had ground.

*The metric/mm specs are rounded to the first decimal, for ease of comparison with your numbers.

Of course, max HP is not just about lift.... -KB

cam-lift-specs-blasko.thumb.jpg.b61d1764bd4722c77a790b05c2df4860.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting that the new ones range quite a bit! Mine is almost spot on that older one. I’m probably going to buy a new one and compare for myself -measure actual lifts and durations on the valves installed in my head 

3 hours ago, 2002GT3CAR said:

Interesting that the new ones range quite a bit! Mine is almost spot on that older one. I’m probably going to buy a new one and compare for myself -measure actual lifts and durations on the valves installed in my head 

Schrick pricing has gotten pretty lofty in the last year or so, and they are out of stock on many of their grinds. I have one, new version, that has low hours that I don't have plans for if you're in the market for one.  The 336 is too much like an on/off switch for me. They're great when you're all in, but not so much when you're not. The more I tried to get the 336 dialed in, the more I realized what a great cam the single profile 316 is. I even like it better than the 328/316.