• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short Center Console Top

What goes across the top of this center console? Can someone share some pics of how it mounts and what it is?

I am trying to source one or may have to make it myself. Any guidance would be helpful, my car didn't come with a center console and I don't have much exposure with 2002 consoles.

Also how does the whole center console mount into the car? The tabs on the rear?

I do have the lower grill cover.

image.thumb.jpeg.0f22068712f3886816512c5b4900f412.jpeg

On 1/5/2024 at 3:48 PM, butteiful said:

Also how does the whole center console mount into the car? The tabs on the rear?

The console on my '69 (a short one as pictured) is held in place by a single screw that goes through a metal tab at the very front of the lower crosspiece.  The back side straddle the transmission tunnel and (apparently, since mine hasn't fallen off in the nearly 55 years I've owned it) holds itself in place thanks to that single screw.  

And BTY, early short consoles used a piece of thick pressboard as that upper crosspiece (missing on your console) that holds the ashtray; later cars have molded plastic.  Dunno when the changeover took place.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 hours ago, Mike Self said:

And BTY, early short consoles used a piece of thick pressboard as that upper crosspiece (missing on your console) that holds the ashtray; later cars have molded plastic.  Dunno when the changeover took place.

mike

For posterity’s sake, the short console in my car has the thick press board piece. Car was produced in Feb of ‘71

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Self said:

The console on my '69 (a short one as pictured) is held in place by a single screw that goes through a metal tab at the very front of the lower crosspiece.  The back side straddle the transmission tunnel and (apparently, since mine hasn't fallen off in the nearly 55 years I've owned it) holds itself in place thanks to that single screw.  

mike

Thanks Mike

Do you have any pics of the screw that is going through a metal tab?