• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl seats

I love my original vinyl seats but the driver side has a split in the back and one in the seat bottom. I’d like to avoid the duct tape look so any suggestions much appreciated.

Might not be so easy now, but years ago, when 02s were still found in salvage yards, I'd glomb onto every rear seat back I could find--even if they were sun rotted at the top.  The good ones I kept (vinyl stripped off the frames) for the inevitable rotting of my own rear seat's top few inches, the bad ones for the material to repair my front seats. 

More than enough vinyl in a rear seat back to repair the bottom center section of both front seats--what splits and wears first.  

Unless you have a very uncommon interior color (like light grey or red) I'll wager someone on the FAQ has a rear seat back in their parts stash. 

And if you have a blue or black interior, I believe there are kits available.  Just be aware that there are several different seat designs and materials used, depending on the car's year if you're going for a reupholstery kit.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There are tons of posts here re: vinyl interior.  Try a Search.  Two frequently mentioned vendors:

https://www.worlduph.com/bmw/classic/e10/

https://gahh.com/materials/seat-upholstery-material/seat-vinyl

Member esty here also does fine work, covering seats & making carpet sets.  https://www.bmw2002faq.com/profile/9202-esty/

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks for all the good feedback. I’m wondering if anyone has any patch suggestions ? Is there a way to repair the small splits ?

The seats are generally in good shape so I’d rather not swap them out.

• Like 1

You could use some denim or drop cloth material under the split as a patch & try to glue the two pieces together to minimize the split.  Mike Self has done something similar.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif