• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local Police Pursuit

Alexander

Well, I was here on the FAQ at 11:00PM local time, in my suburban home on a palm lined quiet street in the foothills when all hell broke out; three police helicopters and about 30 police SUVs chasing a white jeep through the neighborhood. They cornered him at the corner. And, the driver wasn't responding to police commands. His engine was idling as he sat in the car casually drinking something before lighting a cigarette.  You can see him drinking out of a large cup in one of the pics. They brought up the armored swat car and tried communicating with the driver for about  45 minutes. Finally, they warned him that they were going to shoot something at his window to break it. He still continued to ignore them. Then they brought out  something that looked like an oversize shotgun with a huge drum magazine. I thought this must be their sex toy. And, in somewhat of an anti-climax they shot something which broke the window and stunned the driver. He finally came out of the car and obeyed their commands. This was a much better option than shooting the driver dead. At least they didn't open fire with their service revolvers and shotguns as they would have made quite a mess. They're known to bring down suspects with hundreds of rounds fired. I was surprised they didn't extend the perimeter around the scene. There was a crowd of onlookers just 50 yards away. I took a couple of pics from that distance. A short while later I tuned to the local news and learned the jeep was a stolen vehicle.

It's weird. All of his appeared out of nowhere.

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

Probably a beanbag gun that the police used.  Side glass is tempered, and as some of us have discovered, will shatter in odd ways and at odd times--into small crumbs rather than jagged pieces.  

Wonder what the driver was high on...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Who knows, but the police seemed to have gone out of their way to ensure his safety. Frankly, I was surprised. This was the 2nd such incident on my street in the past two years. The suburbs are being swallowed by the big city.

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Service revolvers? 
How Adam 12….😉

OK ! I'm nearly 60 years old. What do you expect ? How about side arms ?  Semi Auto Pistols ? You get my point. Yes, they don't use revolvers these days unless they're trying to emulate "Dirty Harry" with his .44 Magnum.

Edited by Alexander
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Alexander said:

tried communicating with the driver for about  45 minutes.

He was  probably busy trying to call his mommy to get him out of the mess he got himself into..

I just dont get it.... people are just so stupid, messing with the cops just piles on more grief /charges.

Probably suspended/revoked license or warrants or DUI or all 3.

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Whatever makes you the most stupid apparently.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

14 hours ago, Alexander said:

A short while later I tuned to the local news and learned the jeep was a stolen vehicle.

Didn't catch that first read, that explains everything, just chillin a bit before heading back to jail for however long it takes to bond out again (not long)

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

9 hours ago, Alexander said:

Yes, they don't use revolvers these days

Because they would be totally outgunned on the street.

Its high magazine capacity semi auto pistols these days exclusively.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

8 hours ago, Alexander said:

More like a hand held cannon.

Carried one of those around back during my Alaska Bush Mechanic phase,  never had to use it to defend from Bear or more likely.. Moose.

But blew up quite a few cans, water jugs ect, what a beast. 

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

4 hours ago, Schnellvintage said:

Los Angeles has DA Gascon and is now zero bail

yes, they have relaxed the laws significantly. They are no longer allowed to arrest prostitutes for loitering on street corners because the state supreme court determined it's a form of harassment. So, now the prostitutes are on the streets in force in the central city. But, auto theft and burglaries have skyrocketed. The suburbs are targeted. They are stealing any car, especially classics. The pandemic has only made things worse as it has driven many people to desperation.

So, if you're coming to LA with your classic or 02, take extra precautions. I've been removing my distributor rotor for years after parking my car on the street. I keep an extra one hidden in the car just in case I loose the one I remove. Yes. they would get frustrated and probably bank up the car. But, they couldn't drive away with it.

42 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Carried one of those around back during my Alaska Bush Mechanic phase,  never had to use it to defend from Bear or more likely.. Moose.

But blew up quite a few cans, water jugs ect, what a beast. 

Where were you a bush wrench?  My brother flew out of Talkeetna for awhile, it was company policy to fly with a 30-06.

56 minutes ago, Lucky 7 said:

Where were you a bush wrench?  My brother flew out of Talkeetna for awhile, it was company policy to fly with a 30-06.

Ended up a lot of places over the course of several seasons, saw some stuff thats for sure.

Talkeetna, yeah was there alot. A good place to be when out on contract, more amenities, on the road system and not unreasonably far from towns around Wasilla  (food, bars ect) 😉 

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris