• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Bumper Spacer Thickness?

joebarthlow

I'm dry-fitting my euro long bumpers on by '74. I'm using a Blunttech bumper bracket kit. The ends of the corner pieces of the bumper bolt to the side of the rear corner panels. OEM drawings show a rubber spacer. The rubber spacers in the kit seem pretty thick (same as the front). Does anyone know the thickness of the original spacers?

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I know it’s not actually stock, but Ace Hardware has everything you need to make it look stock. From outside in, I did:  euro bumper mounting flange, steel washer, rubber washer, body panel, rubber washer, steel washer, lock nut. With that stack, the bumper is sucked up tight to the paint but doesn’t touch. Looks perfect. 

• Like 2

Joe, when you insert those rubber spacers twixt bumper and body, be sure to tighten the carriage bolt only enough to keep things together.  

Note that the slot in the bumper is open at its forward end--for a reason.  It's to allow the bumper to pop out of the U-shaped slot and move forward if you get a minor bump from the rear.  If overly tightened, even a light tap will tend to kink or even tear your quarter panel, causing all sorts of grief to get it back straight again.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

I seem to remember removing originals from an old Tii...they looked like around 10 MM thick squished so make em 12 mm. The new BMW ones were almost double the thickness, Get a tubing cutter and slice em.

Ha, I measured the Blunttech spacers and they are 12mm. OK. thanks

12 hours ago, James Laray said:

@joebarthlow this is going to really give your 2002 a trim look.  Great to hear updates on your car. 

Hey James! Hope post-CS project life is going well for you. I should have paint down next week. so many delays in this but I finally got my other projects wrangled in.