• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory alloy rim options

I think Steve or Les mentioned in one of the wheel discussions recently that the factory option Alloy rims started with the 2002ti
I am taking picture of the Late factory alloy wheel and early factory alloy side by side for you to see. The one on the right or top is the early style ones for the 2002ti

032BC0FD-CDF1-444D-B83B-8D7E7CFEB6E5.jpeg

On 8/11/2023 at 12:26 PM, resra said:

I think Steve or Les mentioned in one of the wheel discussions recently that the factory option Alloy rims started with the 2002ti
I am taking picture of the Late factory alloy wheel and early factory alloy side by side for you to see. The one on the right or top is the early style ones for the 2002ti

032BC0FD-CDF1-444D-B83B-8D7E7CFEB6E5.jpeg

Hi, Resra,

I’m in the camp — who knows, maybe a camp of one — which believes the early OEM alloy was “introduced” simultaneously with the touring, approximately April 1971. I know Les notes that it was part of the Sport Paket option from the introduction of the touring, with which I certainly agree. I believe the rims were designed simply as a factory alloy option for all ‘02’s, based upon BMW’s recognition that many ‘02 owners were buying new ‘02’s and immediately swapping out the steel rims for aftermarket alloys.

I’m not a subscriber to a ti or tii connection, although…. the tii was introduced at approximately the same time.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)