• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI - need more pull on my 318 throttle body

josh72ooh2

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Pardon me if I'm being dense, here- are you at the limit of travel on the INSIDE of the car?

As in, can you simply rotate the external pullrod, shown in your pic above, on the threads of the shaft that goes

through the bucket into the car?   Thus, raising the static position of the pedal.

That will give you more travel, up until the internal position of

the bent rod's at too steep an angle to effectively slide on the pedal.

Otherwise, yes, lengthen the pullrod from the pedal (is there room?)

But in your video, I'm only seeing maybe 1.5" of cable movement indicated-

the stock- length pullrod moves easily that far in normal, cable- operated rod setups.

So I think your pullrod's slipped.  It's a common problem...

And without seeing how your cable's attached, below, it's hard to offer more insight...

t

Yes, that rod that slides behind the foot pedal does a full travel, from low to high. 

And yes, it is nearly exactly 1.5" of movement on the external rod from top cable position to low when my son steps on the pedal (and I'm under the car measuring). 

I do believe that adjusting the external rod on the pedalbox spline could get me a wee bit more travel. I am going to try that first.  

I have a serious phobia of working under cars unless it is on a lift... but I'll try to slip under there next weekend and see what I can fiddle with. 

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

An update - I took the pedal box lever off and the splines on the lever are gone. I’m guessing the lever slipped over time to give me less play. The splines coming out of the pedal box are there,  but not great.  I was able to adjust the lever a few degrees and tighten the pinch bolt. Then I had to adjust the cable a bit. It certainly pulls the throttle body lever much more now. Still could go further. I’d say I’m getting almost 2/3-3/4 of the total throttle body lever’s travel. 

I hope to get another pedal box lever (anybody have a spare to sell?) with good splines and extend it another half inch or so from my current lever. That should get me the additional cable pull I need and more Zooooom! 

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

2 hours ago, josh72ooh2 said:

I took the pedal box lever off and the splines on the lever are gone.

Were they ever there?  My gas pedal lever has splines, but not the outside lever.  My pedal box lever was slipping like yours and I had no more adjustment at the pinch point.  I removed the pinch bolt and nut on the lever and opened up the crack with a cutoff wheel to give more "pinch".  No more slipping.

Mark92131

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• 5 months later...

Good question. I had no idea tii pedals were different. I need a bit more travel in the arm that extends off the pedal box and if a pedal could do that, it would be great.

regardless, I plan to extend the arm soon. about an inch would help me get more travel with the throttle cable. 

6 hours ago, josh72ooh2 said:

I need a bit more travel in the arm that extends

Yeah. I'm thinking that the longer slot on the back of the tii pedal will contribute some to that. Maybe.

Did/are you considering a bell crank like suggested in the article that @sczapiga posted a link to? I can see how a bell crank would do what you need. And, the tii pedal could just provide more 'spread' / control. Maybe.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024