• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble installing plug wires onto spark plugs

Pablo M

I’m installing the plug wires today and the attachment point inside the boot is smaller than the spark plug head. They won’t fit at all. Did I get the right wires? I saw in another thread, when I searched, that some had this issue with Bosch, where they had to remove the screw on spark plug tip to fit them. 
These aren’t marked Kingsborne at all, and the coil wire says Bremi, but I had ordered Kingsborne so not sure that’s an issue. 
Am I doing something wrong? 

image.thumb.jpeg.1f9e0ab4f8084b27022d0f799e40ee0e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.801f6da025debd5beb021c1eebcf9a02.jpeg

I feel like such an idiot when I’m flummoxed by seemingly simple tasks. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

One of the first things that threw me for a loop. The tip needs to be unscrewed from the spark plug to work in the spark plug wires typically sold for these cars. If your tip doesn't unscrew then the plug is the wrong part number. BP6ES plugs with solid tips that *don't* unscrew do exist. Ask me how I know...

And your sparkplug wires don't look like the Kingsborne wires I have. Doublecheck your receipt. 

Edited by popovm
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tech71 said:

The little barrel on the end should unscrew, they should fit then

19 minutes ago, popovm said:

One of the first things that threw me for a loop. The tip needs to be unscrewed from the spark plug to work in the spark plug wires typically sold for these cars. If your tip doesn't unscrew then the plug is the wrong part number. BP6ES plugs with solid tips that unscrew exist. Ask me how I know...

And your sparkplug wires don't look like the Kingsborne wires I have. Doublecheck your receipt. 

4 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

Unscrew the top of the spark plug. 

I was today years old when I first learned about using spark plugs without the tip...

Thanks.

Popovm, I checked their site and mine looks like this. So I think I got the right ones. 

Thanks.

image.png.86597f1d31a1b35d2ce0cb22a6ed348e.png

• Like 2

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Just now, Pablo M said:

I was today years old when I first learned about using spark plugs without the tip...

Thanks.

Popovm, I checked their site and mine looks like this. So I think I got the right ones. 

Thanks.

image.png.86597f1d31a1b35d2ce0cb22a6ed348e.png

I may or may not have ripped the tip off of a non-screw off BP6ES because I assumed they all had screw off tips... Everyone's gotta learn sometime, I guess!

That's good to hear about your wires. They must be using Bremi ends now. That top of the package with the lightening bolts looked familiar but I wasn't sure. 

• Haha 1