• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Removal question

Alex Abreu

Remove the under dash panels, if they're still in place and then you can reach up and unscrew the speedometer cable and the two thumb nuts that hold the instrument cluster in place.  You'll also need to unplug the wiring harness from the back of the cluster and the tachometer wire.  It's not hard to do.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

Kinda fiddly but not terribly difficult to remove, just harder to reinstall.

PM me for the column I did on removing and replacing the instrument cluster...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this info. 1976 2002 here. My Speedo started “floating” at 40-sh and will drop if I tap the glass, so I’d like to get it out for repair. I removed the thumb nuts and washers and the dash is now “loose”. However I can’t seem to get the speedo cable collar nut to loosen. Has anyone devised a way to grip it well enough to apply torque to loosen add remove it to free the cable? I believe it is restraining the dash enough to keep it mostly in place and hindering access. Thanks -