• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 on Bring A Trailer

Slavs

Has anybody here followed the auction of this 1600 track car on BAT ?

The guy selling it knows nothing about these cars, but he also has the car listed on FB and Craigslist for $39K.

He claims to have acquired it through "Unfortunate Circumstances from a Client". To me it sounds like an attorney who grabbed a car from a client unable to pay for services. But. I may be wrong. I say that because there was this young attorney down the street from me who was acquiring some very expensive and rare cars in this manner. At one point he grabbed a very early Porsche 356 split window, no wonder people hate attorneys. I got pretty pissed off at him after he snagged a car from underneath my nose as I was talking to the seller and making a deal.

It's parked in the Northern Bay Area in a garage next to a newer model Lamborghini and Ferrari.

The car appears to have many Ireland Engineering parts. It actually looks like an Ireland build.

So, does anybody here know anything about this car ? It's a California car. And, it looks familiar to me.

The motor runs smooth and sounds healthy. Somebody here must know something about it.

1967_bmw_1600_17009-bmw-1600-race-car-00
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a Modified 1967 BMW 1600-2 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #93,178.

I know nothing about the history of the car, comments for the heck of it...

Appears like it could be a fun street toy / track-day or solo car; it has some clever build features, though challenged from a safety standpoint. To me, it seems unlikely it would pass tech inspection for side-by-side racing. Yeah, there are some old Ireland parts on it (make what you wish of that). I'd like to see how they executed the booster-less brake system.

It reminds me of the various parts I've got to build a sweet 1.6L engine -> on the list. -KB

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Craigslist Ad states 1 Owner........

Well, the 4th owner, Santa Rosa, was selling it Jan 1998.

In July 2004 it was owned by Konradt Bartlam, Lodi, CA, and it was a "race car".

That's all I have.

• Like 5

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Its really unfortunate, although not surprising, that these auction houses including ebay have literally ZERO accountability for sellers. Anyone can list anything for sale and they could care less. They are a machine to make money, period. While there are obviously good people selling quality cars and parts, the lack of oversight and seller accountability on BAT and other similar sites is very concerning and would make me hesitate to buy anything from them unless I knew the seller. Don't be surprised if BAT removes the ability to comment on sales soon, you can be 100% sure it will happen if they feel it is affecting their bottom line. 

• Like 2

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

3 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

Its really unfortunate, although not surprising, that these auction houses including ebay have literally ZERO accountability for sellers. Anyone can list anything for sale and they could care less. They are a machine to make money, period. While there are obviously good people selling quality cars and parts, the lack of oversight and seller accountability on BAT and other similar sites is very concerning and would make me hesitate to buy anything from them unless I knew the seller. Don't be surprised if BAT removes the ability to comment on sales soon, you can be 100% sure it will happen if they feel it is affecting their bottom line. 

I agree. After reading through the comments knowledgeable 02 folks picked apart the car from the pics. It was advertised as a 2.0L, but it is obviously not. The "118" head along with the block #s indicate it's a 1600. Nothing wrong with that, but the seller doesn't even know what he has. One could feel sorry for him, but the car is also listed for $39K on Craiglist and FB. And, it's pictured there in a nice warehouse in the company of a newer model Lamborghini and Ferrari. This may be a "Shark". These 02s now represent a "hot" market, and a lot of sharks and flippers are trying to capitalize on it.

I like the car, though. It looks like a fun and simple car. Unless you run the motor or gearbox with no oil what could really break down on this thing ? The clutch linkage is all mechanical with no hydraulics to worry about. The window regulators have been removed with a strap left in place to raise them all the way up or keep them lowered down.