• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No top end power

squidberg
Go to solution Solved by squidberg,

Even if it was, would it cause the rev limiting effect described? My 02 will pull well past 7K RPMS. I have my 123 dizzy set to rev limit at 6.5KRPMs. Unless you are saying that the 123 is set for some higher rev limit but the tach is only showing ~5800...

I personally have never seen an 02 tach that gave a steady reading that turned out to be low. They seem to either work or not (be obviously non-op or flaky). But then, I haven't seen everything.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

The 123 has a digital tach. It is set to “limit” at 8000. It never got above 5800 when floored going downhill. My mechanical tach agrees with the 123 until the needle gets stuck at 4000.
I am guessing it’s the old springs/rockers and unknown cam. We spent time building the lower end and then ran out of time for the head and just slapped it together with what we had before my son had to move. So I guess that leaves me with a nice project for this year. 

• 2 months later...

Seems to suggest that the 123 dizzy may have crapped out, but if you changed out two things at once that would be hard to say. Linkage problems (e.g., the throttle wasn't opening all of the way) could easily cause the problem you had. Your thoughts?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

• Solution

The throttle alone didn’t fix it. Once I got the linkage dialed in it still had no pull above 4000rpm. Then I put in the machanical dizzy and it pulls hard. So I think there was something wrong with 123blutooth unit I got. I am returning it. 

Edited by squidberg
Clarification