• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 2002 w/ Close-Ratio 5 Speed

Boultman

Price: $19400

Description:

SALE PENDING:

Selling my 2002 in the Clear Lake Area of Houston.

Here is the Hagerty marketplace listing.  

d1371fc5-439c-4b6f-9182-736f67a29132.hei
WWW.HAGERTY.COM

Explore iconic classic, vintage and exotic cars in My Garage. Connect with other vehicle enthusiasts in the car community today.

Edited by Boultman

1975 2002 Base w/ Close Ratio 5MT

1992 Mitsubishi Delica Starwagon 4X4 Diesel 5MT

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera

2022 Volvo XC60 B6

Good eye.  Yes they are.  I was looking at used OEM basket-weaves when looking for wheels, but I liked the color of the Rota better and had a really good experience with some Rota banana spoke (Minilite style) wheels on another car.  

The Hagerty marketplace is a little odd and doesn't allow for many photos or much room for text/content. It is pretty new and I would image they are working out kinks.

I should probably work up a more comprehensive write-up of the vehicle on this listing...  Just inspected and registration renewed this past Monday.  Driven regularly. 

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera

2022 Volvo XC60 B6

Me: great tidy car at a fair price to drive and enjoy. 

Flipper: Buy it, take the CR trans out and replace with a 4 speed. and sell the dogleg & shortened stuff for $10K  Remove the Nardi wheel, Recaros, strut brace and wheels to sell for another $3K then sell the car with stock replacements for $15K.  If the diff is an LSD add on another $1,500 into your pocket. 

See how this works? 

I just helped sell your car ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

I actually thought about letting go of the CR 5-speed when I bought the car 7-8 years ago.  I figured I may like an OD 5 -speed better for highway use and could pocket a little coin from the swap.  After driving the close ratio gearbox I couldn't get rid of it.  It is very fun to drive.  

It is a well sorted car with tasteful mods but still presents as mostly stock. I can genuinely say that I believe the car is underpriced.  Hagerty has a #3 car at $24k and this one has some goodies.  But I need the room fairly soon and trying to avoid the Craigslist mass-population route.  It has generated good feedback so far but no check-in-hand yet!

• Like 2

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera

2022 Volvo XC60 B6

7 hours ago, Boultman said:

After driving the close ratio gearbox I couldn't get rid of it.  It is very fun to drive.  

Whole heartily agree. I had a Hartge e21 with a dogleg 5 and 345 rear. Now because of that experience I'm doing that to my tii.  

7 hours ago, Boultman said:

no check-in-hand yet!

Times be tough right now.  

It'll sell. It's car week on the West coast, expect more action afterwards when folks get home and are anxious from all that horsepower on  display.  

But what do I know

It is leaking from the compressor for sure.  It has the original large York compressor from when the dealer installed it when the car was new in Houston.  When i bought the car it was modestly working and when I refilled it the first time we put the UV dye in the system. Once it bled out the compressor lit up like a night club under the UV light. 

If I were just now purchasing this car and looking for projects, I would replace the compressor with a much more efficient Sanden-style compressor and bracket, replace the old school condenser with a thick universal aluminum one and a modern high-volume electric fan to go with that.  Those modifications would most likely allow for comfortable daily driving.  It will never freeze you out, but highway speeds would be fine, or cloudy/rainy days and night driving would be totally acceptable. These old cars have a GIANT greenhouse, so high-end ceramic tint (even the clear kind) would go a long way as well.   

• Like 1

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera

2022 Volvo XC60 B6

Sorry for the delay.  All of the notifications from Hagerty are going to my SPAM folder.  (the ones from 2002FAQ do not).

The car is still for sale.  Hagerty and this forum are the only outlets for the moment.  If it doesn't sell in the next week or so, I may invest some time and a little money (for minor bits) to get it looking top notch, then listing on Bring-A-Trailer.  With the gearbox and other unique and rare options, I believe it would be appreciated on BaT.  

It is priced very attractively in my opinion and if I spend some effort and time on it to list on BaT or other outlets, I will most likely keep reserve and/or price closer to the Hagerty estimate of $22-$24k.

Let me know if you have any questions!

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera

2022 Volvo XC60 B6

20 minutes ago, rstclark said:

So what is the rear end ?   A  stock 75 may have been a 3:91 open  or a 3.64 open

Well…

I believe all U.S.-bound 1975 models received 3.64 open differentials. The 3.90 open differential was only a feature of 49-state versions of U.S.-bound 1976 models. The 3.90 came with the 49-state version’s E21 head, smokin’ hot #5 camshaft, and the absence of a thermal reactor exhaust manifold…. ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)