• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center console switch knobs ?

reycer

Recently replaced my cracked dash and opted not to have the switch knob text silkscreened on the replacement dash.

I am aware the actual knobs came in 2 sizes. Smaller diameter console knobs with etched symbols on the knob face early 2002 (ie 68?). There were larger size etched symbol knobs for later years, but not sure what years and what etched symbols were created.

I was able to source 2 of the larger etched symbol knobs that I want to use, however ran into a road block finding an etched variable wiper blade symbol? I am thinking they never made one in the larger size knobs? I know I have seen a windshield with wiper symbol on the smaller sized knobs.

Can anyone give me some clarification if a windshield wiper etched exist for a larger knob? If yes would love to source one.

I will use a non etched generic knob if there is none.

Appreciate any clarification and thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

The small-sized knobs with etched pictographs were used on the pre-modell 71 cars (166/167XXXX VINs); the larger knobs were used on later cars (257XXXX-on), and at least for the later roundies, the knob centers themselves were plain, with the function silk-screened on the instrument binnacle.  

I've never seen a variable wiper speed etched knob, primarily because the only cars that came with that function were the last squarelights, and the entire wiper control (on/off and speed selection) was via the right side steering column stalk, whose end knob does in fact have the intermittent, slow and fast symbols stamped into the plastic.  

Roundies retrofitted with the factory intermittent wiper speed kit would have used the same plain knob with "wiper speed" silk screened onto the binnacle.  Same knob, just a different switch with an extra position.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 6/15/2022 at 1:00 PM, Mike Self said:

The small-sized knobs with etched pictographs were used on the pre-modell 71 cars (166/167XXXX VINs); the larger knobs were used on later cars (257XXXX-on), and at least for the later roundies, the knob centers themselves were plain, with the function silk-screened on the instrument binnacle.  

I've never seen a variable wiper speed etched knob, primarily because the only cars that came with that function were the last squarelights, and the entire wiper control (on/off and speed selection) was via the right side steering column stalk, whose end knob does in fact have the intermittent, slow and fast symbols stamped into the plastic.  

Roundies retrofitted with the factory intermittent wiper speed kit would have used the same plain knob with "wiper speed" silk screened onto the binnacle.  Same knob, just a different switch with an extra position.

mike

Thank you Mike... so complicated sometimes... appreciate

Larger knobs with pictographs were used in Europe were they not? Euro dashes do not have the stencils on the dash itself labeling the knob functions. 
I’m also having my dash redone— without the USA only seatbelt warning pod— and had to make the decision whether to go ‘full Euro’ and omit the stencils as well. 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, mccusername said:

Larger knobs with pictographs were used in Europe were they not? Euro dashes do not have the stencils on the dash itself labeling the knob functions. 
I’m also having my dash redone— without the USA only seatbelt warning pod— and had to make the decision whether to go ‘full Euro’ and omit the stencils as well. 

I did find larger etched knobs from Europe... (headlight and rear window defrost) but don't know if euro only...

I did the delete the seatbelt warning pod too. 

Working on my car I have  learned about all the little parts variants within the 2002's model years  and also other compatible parts from other BMW models of the same era. This has been really fun for me. I have learned much... still am! 

I started off with a vision for my car and then come arrive at  intersections,  where you make go forward decisions based on what you uncover. The smaller console knobs was something I learned about a week ago. 

Even though I don't contribute much (not so confident in my knowledge to share) Great community.

• Like 1