• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tried Hillclimb this weekend

After a couple seasons of autocross, I decided to try one of those "I've always wanted to..." things and ran the BCA/NHA Cope-Myers Memorial Hillclimb at Maryhill Loops road. Unlike autocross there are no PAX times based on class, just raw times. That said, except for one  car, I had the least HP in the event, but managed to beat ten cars, and was in striking distance of a couple more. Big props to the crew at Northwest Hillclimb Assoc. and Bridge City Autosports, they put on a great event!

Also shout out to DanJer and their longer control arms for allowing me to use all of the front tire. The front has never felt so planted!

If you are the type to drive your '02 in anger, I highly recommend it! I'll be back for more!

• Like 12

Back in 1960-61 BMW designed and built just two examples of the 700RS Spyder for this purpose, only. The spyders shed all unecessary weight and didn'teven have a generator or alternator. They just got their juice from the battery as hill climbs are relatively short races. The modified 700cc BMW flat twin motorcycle motors were modified to put out 85hp for these cars which probably weighed less than 1,000lbs.

Porsche removed their 4 cam 4 cylinder Fuhrman motors from their 550 spyders, equipping them with their standard 356 motors when running in hill climbs where low end power and low gearing plays a more important role.

I imagine an 02 designed specifically for hill climbs would have very tight low gearing such as a 4.11, 4.30, 4.75 or even lower gearing to catapult it uphill. I run a stock 2L motor with single barrel carb and 4.11 long neck LSD diff coupled to a 245/5 speed. I find myself mostly in 4th and 5th gear when climbing 2 lane highways to the ski slopes. 

1960_BMW_700RS1.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Johnny Riviera said:

If you are the type to drive your '02 in anger, I highly recommend it! I'll be back for more!

This looks like a ton of fun!

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

14 hours ago, Johnny Riviera said:

Some pics someone else snapped of me on the hill 

Is that a yellow Datsun 510 with flares, the third car up ahead of you ?

Edited by Milo