• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SF Bay Area body shop recommendation?

Jen2002

Hi there - 

The guys painting my neighbor's house dropped a ladder on my 1974 2002tii that was parked in my driveway. (And no, they did not leave a note. Grrr.)

I need a new windshield and hood repair. There are two dents on the crease line which I am told are difficult to get out properly, so I might opt for a whole new hood/deck. 

Any recommendations for a shop in or near San Francisco?

Thank you!

• Sad 1

My ‘74 tii was completely repainted (which included replacing 2 body panels and the windshield) by The Works in Santa Clara a couple of years ago. Since then, a few other local 02 owners have used them for repairs and have been happy as well.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

3 hours ago, Jen2002 said:

Hi there - 

The guys painting my neighbor's house dropped a ladder on my 1974 2002tii that was parked in my driveway. (And no, they did not leave a note. Grrr.)

I need a new windshield and hood repair. There are two dents on the crease line which I am told are difficult to get out properly, so I might opt for a whole new hood/deck. 

Any recommendations for a shop in or near San Francisco?

Thank you!

I am really pleased with G&M Auto Body in San Bruno.  They will only spray PPG though. Not sure that’s ok for you. 

Thank you all very much for your ideas. 

Anyone else, please feel free to add. Trying to get as close to SF as possible. Trying to avoid the need to tow the car because of the smashed windshield. (This is SO SAD.)

Give Gabriel at United Auto Collision Center in Burlingame a call. He doesn’t do as many classics as he used to, but if you can get yours in he’ll make it good as new.  He has a long history with 2002’s including fixing my car that was botched by another locally known BMW paint and body ‘expert’. Good luck. (Also, for only a few dollars more you can upgrade AAA to include 4 flatbed tows (per year)of up to 100 miles. One trip way more than covers the upgrade cost.)

Hi Jen--

I'm sorry to hear about your car-- they become so personal.  But I'm confident it can be properly repaired.

I will note BayArea 02 has a number of sponsors you can see and click links to at [BayArea 02 sponsors].  Some do body work, like Restoshop (oops-- no logo!) and Auto Sports Exclusive in San Mateo.

A while back I had good paint applied at a shop in Lafayette that now just does detailing.  I also have confidence in Michael DuBois's body shop in Hollister, although their main work is accident repair.  But when his shop repainted his Malaga tii, they did a fine job on "Bacchus".

Larry

74tii_4-small 100225.JPG

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Auto Sports Exclusives body work is acceptable but the paint work is really bad.  I cannot recommend Paul after my experience last year.  I know we don’t like to say negative things about our vendors, but after my experience I heard that others had bad experiences as well, so I feel compelled to help the OP and the Bay Area community by sharing this.