• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odometer reset to "0" ...or not?

Toga

Can anyone confirm that unscrewing that one screw, will enable me to turn the odometer gear by hand at a good speed to travel about 12.000 miles?

If not, I'm just gonna lave it like that.

8 hours ago, 02sahara said:

Couldn't find any description on how to do a odometer reset or adjustment in any way, so I'm gonna open that question again:

Based in Germany (km) I am swapping my US model speedometer (mph) with an euro (km/h) one BUT would like to continue the odometer mileage and adjust the kilometers accordingly. I don't wanna mess too much with that gears and not break anything or make things worse. So is there a fairly smooth way to adjust the odometer?

Seems like one could the little metal plate on the side that holds the only odometer gears and pins I can see ... pull it off and freely spin the pin/gear right at the odometer (both ways cw/ccw would work?); and then simply put screw it back on. But I'm not sure.

c167c115-dc53-4eb3-9ea7-f228d66a674d.jpg

Edited by 02sahara

One turn is 0.1 miles, so that's 120,000 turns and it may not hold up if spun very fast.

It may be that only 12.000 turns are needed because the 10th wheel turn is on the gear direct.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The odometer wasn't working when I bought my car.  I drove it that way for a year or two and then fixed the odometer.  While I had the shaft out (replaced with a bamboo skewer) I reset the odometer to zero, since it wasn't accurate anyway.  Then, several years later, it stopped working again because the gear slipped on the shaft and slid over, so the gear at the odometer wasn't touching the other one.  I put a little brass spacer behind it so it can't move over and it's been fine since then.

image.thumb.jpeg.347ac25d35cd2aa5332e930d59689a3c.jpeg

I don't remember exactly what was involved when setting it to zero, but I think I did that while it was apart.

The odometer reading is moot in Washington for vehicles older than 2010.

It sounds like that's true on the Federal level too.

MAGAUCTIONS.COM

Effective January 1, 2021, McConkey Auction Group (MAG) has implemented the Federal Government’s new Odometer Disclosure Requirements. In summary: Please refer to the information below for model year…

I'd like to know how many miles are on my car, but it's a mystery.  I'd also like to know how many I've put on it, but the gaps due to an inop. odometer make that a mystery too.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m half way through restoring an e28 535is, paint, motor, suspension, interior etc, and I will be resetting the odo to ZERO. For all intents and purposes, the car will be new and has unknown pedigree prior to restoration like 99% of 2002’s.

i wish I had reset the odo on my tii after doing a complete restoration some years back.

Whoever I sell either car to, if ever, will get a complete breakdown of the work completed, and estimated mileage at the time of the restorations etc.

As someone else posted, unless you buy a unique car, with some sort of documentation, you can’t trust the odo anyways. I would pay up for a restored car if there were records etc. 

Edited by gwb72tii

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”