• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getreg 245 M20/M10

draper68

So I'm in the middle of an M20 swap on my '69 2002 and the mechanic doing the install just called me and told me that he dropped the euro e21 323i getreg 245 I'd sourced on a work trip to Germany years ago and bent the gear selector rod. I'm a bit panicked now because not only are these things almost 5x more expensive now than what I paid in Europe 10 years ago, but they're almost impossible to find! But then I had a thought, and I'm hoping someone who knows more about this kind of thing can help. I still have the Getreg 245 that's bolted up to my M10. I know the bell housings are different for the M10/M20 versions of this transmission, but are the internals, most importantly the gear selector rod the same? Can I cannibalize the M10 Getreg to save the M20? Thanks in advance!  

You didn't say if it is an over drive box or a Dog Leg Close ratio box.  If it is an overdrive box then everything inside the box is interchangeable with your M10 245/5 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

@PreyupyGood point of clarification. It's an overdrive box. I couldn't even find a dog leg box in three different German scrap yards 10 years ago! 

@TobyBWell, my mechanic broke it so he gets to fix it on his dime! I wouldn't dream of trying to crack open a 45 year old transmission with my tools and skill set. Thanks for the heads up though.

Where are you located? Before you scrap a perfectly good 245/5 just to get a good shift rod I probably have a few out of damaged boxes ( holding can be good sometime). I’m out of the shop until Monday but could look then. 

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I finally found a good one.  It has obviously taken a hit from a guibo that let go at some point.  It is straight and the nick in the shaft does not get into the shaft seal 

image.jpg

image.jpg

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC