• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koni adjustable shocks and H&R sport springs

Wah

5 hours ago, TobyB said:

Make sure it's engaging- I remember having a heck of a time with the reds.

And yes, my recent experience with Koni has been less than 100%.

They will warranty it out, but it takes a while if you're not willing to

do a paid up- front exchange.  If they DO that, keep poking at them-

otherwise, they seem to 'forget' that they were waiting for Koni EU to

'okay' the replacement and refund your money.

t

Same. I had one that was stuck out of the box, took a ton of force to break it loose. Dealing with Koni isn't great but you don't have to do it very often.

4 hours ago, Wah said:

It was definitely engaging because I was turning it 2 and a quarter turns, lock to lock.  I spoke with Koni this morning about it and my experience was also less than 100%.  He basically told me that I can not tell by compressing and extending it by hand if the adjustment was doing anything (even though on the working shock, it is obvious there is more resistance when I turned it to full firm).  I don't know, I'm no expert...  but why do three shocks behave differently from that one? 

I think it would be more accurate to say you can't always tell by moving it by hand. I had one I was sure was dead and it worked fine after it was pumped a bit from being run in the car. It's not exactly reassuring given the nuisance of changing a front one but the rears aren't that bad. 

Hey guys, just to be clear, these are the most affordable adjustable shocks money can buy. 

A massive step up would be the top adjustable, gas charged Koni's from GC, and these are still really affordable adjustable shocks, and they're so much better.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

keep in mind....

the adjustment for these koni's is for REBOUND ONLY. not compression.   you can adjust them all you want, but you will not feel any difference when you are COMPRESSING the damper.  you will feel a difference when you are trying to extend the damper.

konis are not gas charged like billys.  you must keep them upright when adjusting, storing or "testing" by hand.

2xM3

These ARE the old reds, then, aren't they?

(except that the reds were super- durable)

the StrtrSrtrRrrT wasn't adjustable (well, it self- adjusted to 'full soft' for me several times)

but at least was gas pressurized 

and the Sports are gas charged and externally adjustable,

with some having a fixed ratio between compression

and rebound, and others being adjustable in one

direction only...

t

too lazy to go do his internet search

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

koni sports are single rebound adjustable only.  all of them for normal 02's are.  i do have some koni sports that are double adjustable on the front of my 02, but they are not an 02 application and required modification of the struts to operate.

strtstrtstrt...lol...worst dampers ever.  had them on an e46.  just awful. too soft and a couple of them did the "full soft adjustment" and rusted out in very short order.  junk.

not all koni sports are gas charged. billys are high pressure gas pressurized.  koni's for 02's not so much....that is why they are so easy to compress by hand.  turn them upside down and work them the gas gets in the valving making it feel like they failed.  turn them right side up and cycle a bunch of times the oil returns to the valving and they operate correctly again.

just what i have seen...and read.

Edited by M2M3

2xM3