• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust repair & painting at home

Fletcher

I got my malaga paint from tcp global, from their auto color library thing and it is a near perfect match to the original paint under hood and in door jams. And I don't just mean by the eye of a guy saying yeah thats about right, I mean near perfect to the eye of a designer who's career relies on correct colors.

Based on your questions I'm guessing you're also new to painting, as I was when I started my 02 and i still am. Do as much reading as you can.Watch lots of youtube videos, but also take what people say online with a grain of salt because theres a lot of misinformation and myths just like with all things online, like people talking about their favorite motor oil.

You can also spray the welded areas with something like fluid film, a spray that's for preventing rust, then just clean it off when you're ready to paint and it should be okay. and clean it off around the area you're welding to make sure it doesn't catch fire.

The stuff about the suit is right, your body absorbs chemicals through the skin just not as quickly as through your lungs, I used a 3m respirator the one with the cartridges, I think you want at least the p95 type.  TCP globals website has a lot of autobody stuff respirators and all, even if you don't buy it from there it's a decent place to see what type of stuff they sell for car painting purposes.

Theres a forum called autobody101.com which is fairly active and I found a lot of tips searching there. On google put site:autobody101.com in the search and it will only search that website.

The important part about the compressor is what is the cfm (cubic feet per minute) at what psi, the volume of air flowing at what pressure. So you need to know the psi your gun will spray at and how many cfm it requires at that psi, then you'll know if the compressor is adequate.

I mostly used an lvlp gun, low volume low presure, both referring to the volume and pressure of air flow. It was a lot slower than hvlp, and needed more work when sanding, but it was okay, and it was way less overspray in my garage.

You're also going to want to set up your air line in a way that minimizes the water content of the air. if you don't have real deal pipe set up, you can do a long hose to a big particulate filter, then from there another hose to a water separator then into the gun. Or something along those lines. Longer hose allows water to condense more and be more easily separated from the air.

If your compressor runs hot and runs a lot while spraying because it has to work hard to supply the required air, then the air coming out of the compressor will have significantly more water in it.

If you're limited by your compressor, you can make do but you will have to pay with extra hours of sanding and polishing. That's what pretty much what I did. And it still turned out pretty good for a first time full car painter, if you read and learn and are careful and patient, you can still do a really good paint job. It's a lot of work though, if you're only doing it yourself to save money I don't know if i would do it again. But if you're doing it because you want to , then I say go for it.

The picture here is after probably like 1000 hours of prep, sanding, primer, paint, sanding, cutting, buffing, polishing, waxing etc. A pro could do it faster I'm sure but when it really starts coming together at the end, that's one of the most rewarding feelings I ever had working on a car. more than any engine work or swapping parts.

• Thanks 1

Out here in the pnw when it's the wet time of year, I found a 20 gal compressor tank (motor was burned out) for next to nothing and I plumb it in after the compressor and before the air dryer, never had a water problem even in the fog and the compressor running just about non stop.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Out here in the pnw when it's the wet time of year, I found a 20 gal compressor tank (motor was burned out) for next to nothing and I plumb it in after the compressor and before the air dryer, never had a water problem even in the fog and the compressor running just about non stop.

we have 2 recycled 100 lb propane tanks plumbed after our 35 gal compressor and the xtra tanks give you more volume in short cycle periods too.

TCP global sells good paint and primers and a good color choice ...i'm using it on the 72 we're working on now and have sprayed 4 cars with it...look at the section on their website, "Restoration Shop" paint