• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN sticker

Harvanj

1972 BWM 2002
VIN#  2580659
Manufactured January 27th 1972

Where did the factory apply the vin sticker on this specific date period production. Most information shows the sticker on the drivers door frame. On my vehicle it appears to be under the hood, right side of cowl, in the recessed area near the right drain tube. Everything has been repainted, including what appears to be the fish scale vin sticker . 

image.jpeg

The VIN sticker shown above in your initial post was always applied to the rear face of the left (driver’s) door — sideways.

At the right end of the heater plenum (or cowl), another U.S.-mandated sticker was also applied. It specified the tuning specs required to meet U.S. emissions standards. In some years, such as the 1972 model year, this “emissions tuning” sticker was also (a.) black lettering on a silver background, and (b.) perforated to self-destruct if attempts were made to remove the sticker. 

Does the sticker at the right end of your car’s cowl look similar to the silver sticker in the first photo below? The second photo shows the door-mounted VIN sticker on my ‘76.

Regards,

Steve

33865F89-D82F-4C9B-9C92-6FFDB770B2B3.jpeg

E98FA88A-0C20-4FC2-ABD1-9873EE83C758.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

33 minutes ago, tomphot said:

Here is mine that I ordered from Car Bone.  
my car was produced 9 days before yours btw. 
The weights are different, why is that Steve?

BF715658-DC8E-431A-933C-7C7449BD08E3.png

Hey, Tom,

Harvanj is working with a "c" version of the VIN sticker -- I believe there were at least 4 different versions of the sticker. The weights, and models, changed with each version.

I suppose I need to track down the thread where we discuss the various versions?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks, you did answer my questions. My specific vehicle would have come with two of the removal destruction stickers. One on the door frame with build date details (missing completely). One on the cowl area with tuning specification for emission compliance (in place but painted over). Have opted to not spend $75. for a sticker on a vehicle that is far from factory original. I can move on to other non essential tinkering.

JH

• Like 1