• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternators.

Yale

I seem to need to deal with alternators in

most of the cars I have and have had, and it seems to me I’ve had more problems then most. I rebuilt the turbo alternator after it stranded me on a 500 mile drive with some friends. Now that very same alternator is showing a lit L light in the dash which I hear is a diode issue, ( as the light stayed on while the car was shut off). So I’m hearing it needs to be rebuilt again. There are no new or off the shelf rebuilt alternators for these cars, is that the story? Or what is the story. Thank you all. 

Edited by Yale
My poor english

A volvo 240/740 alternator is a little larger, higher output and fits the bracket...you'll need to bend the tensioner arm to make it fit.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

it physically fits in the space available, to the bracket and with pulley in the right place... but its a 2-wire internally regulated... so you just connect the heavy gauge cable and the Blue wire out of the original black 3-way plug (Blue is iginition lamp)

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise