• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box experience with prdesignsf

Shawn Piper

I finally got my heater box back from PRDesignSF (https://prdesignsf.com) and I wanted to share my experience here since it was a good one. My car is a 1969 model year. Its currently going through a full restoration. The heater box had a frozen motor, cracks and breaks in the plastic, a broken cable and lots of rust / dirt... it was in bad shape.

I contacted Brendan Pramono at PRDesignSF about restoring my heater box.  I sent him the box and he disassembled it for me.  The metal parts were returned to me and I had them blasted and re-plated.  The plating shop ended up being disreputable and disappeared on me for a several months (long story). Brendan was a total saint and didn't pressure me while I went through the hell of trying to get my parts back and have them plated somewhere else.  

I sent back the re-plated parts and Brendan rebuilt my heater box. Took about a month to complete the work despite all the COVID19 stuff.   He pressure tested the core and removed the rust, upgraded my heater valve to a new version (since mine cant be rebuilt), added new foam and grommets throughout, new cables, and addressed the cracks.  He also added a new motor but used my old fan blade, which was zinc plated.   Total cost including shipping was $1239, minus the plating.  

It was expensive but the heater box looks fantastic and I couldn't be happier. 

IMG-0275.JPG

IMG-0274.JPG

Edited by Shawn Piper
  • Like 5

My experience ended up similarly good last year.  I posted about it after Brendan bailed me out when Fed Ex Ground delivered the package with the heater box to someone else and it was never found.  I was in a panic and Fed Ex was worthless in trying to help find it.  In the end, prdesign got a nicely refurbished box to me.  My cost was in the same range.  Now if we can just get the paint finished so it can be installed back in the car!!!

I'm wondering what paint Brendan uses on his refurbed boxes - its looks obviously well prepped, but the top finish is still very smooth. He's just a little too far to send mine to unfortunately.

Edited by zambo

As a follow up in this for people that may have painted plastics like this in the past. I’ve had good experience with VHY Vinyl dye. But I notice the SEM product appears to be more of a flexi paint. For those that perhaps know, is that a reasonable description of the two product. The dye doesn’t really cover any marks, scuffs, etc.