• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 2002 Purchase Advice

RYOLEER

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

I learned, the hard way, that if you want to sell a car (or a house, or a boat or whatever), that you should price it reasonably right off the bat, and be ready to sell when the buyer comes a'knocking. Trying to maximize your profit (or minimize your loss) is a fools errand, 

My 2002 E39 was beginning develop a few mid life issues and I just didn't want to deal with any of it. Not as fun as it used to be to maintain it. I much prefer spending time on Survivor.  Registration and insurance were both coming due as well.

So I listed it on CL, after 4 weeks of scammers and A hole low ballers who never show up, I said "I'm done"

Traded it in for $800 on late model crossover SUV.  Should have just done that to begin with. My wife is delighted with her new ride and I like it too. 

Value.. is relative.

Survivor (76 02) should be rejoining the ranks of roadworthy E10s/02s soon. Mechanicals and interior will be sorted. Current cash outlay before a much needed refinish: $13,300.

No doubt it will be up around $20,000 after the exterior is sorted. (Quality refinish, front/rear glass, rubber seals.)

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

IMG_1601.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 2/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, CristianGarcia said:

@Rich It’s probably a sign from the universe that I should pass up on this car. Also, I PMd the guy selling the Malaga 73.

Anyways, this seller said he’s firm on $18.5k and I really wasn’t looking to spend that much in the first place. So if anyone is interested in spending almost 20k for this 73 Sahara, let me know and I’ll pass along his info. 

The hunt continues...

Christian, Based on your number of posts, I assume you’re pretty new to this group like me. However, I’ve been a vintage euro sports car owner for close to 30 years, and seen friends make mistakes thinking they could “save” money on cars with needs. so here’s some general purchasing advice as your hunt continues.

Enjoy the hunt. It’s a great time to gain knowledge about 2002’s and meet the great people in this community. Join your local club and attend the events. The SoCal Vintage in early November is a great place to see cars and meet their owners, lay seeds for possible buys or even find a car for sale that meets your requirements. 

Determine your requirements and if you’re looking for a long term buy or settling for something less in the short term. It’s a pay now or later decision... being patient, finding the right car and paying a bit more now may very well save you in the long term. If you’re considering cars in $18-20k range, another $5k will make a big difference in the quality of car you can own. 

Be ready for the kill. Set aside your car fund now, in case the car you’ve been searching for unexpectedly becomes available. Cash is king when it comes to making and a closing a deal. 

Good luck and hope to see you out there on PCH someday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1