• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Tii roundy with sunroof

Stein-man

Price: $100

Description:

Hi, All -

I'm looking for a rust-free, maybe-tired, complete Tii, and will pay up for a nice car.  It most likely will be gutted and restored, and I would like to not have to chase up hard-to-get parts during the resto.  

Let me know what you have, we can trade emails with pictures.  I can easily go to CA to see your car if you are there.  Thanks a bunch!

- Rob

rcsteinway@earthlink.net

I have a 1972 Tii, numbers matching, Vin 2762093. Has 5-spd, Recaros, 99% rust frees except a quarter size piece in the rear driver quarter under the turbo flare. I’m planning on listing it in Bring a trailer in the spring, would like $25k

also it was originally Fjord blue metallic so if your doing a full restore that’s be a great color to go back to.

171326DA-241A-4F5B-B46D-AAE469807EFE.jpeg

Edited by Kingryan86
Photo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stein-man said:

Robert -  Sorry, you are correct!

Ryan - 

Thanks for the link.  Do you have the exterior trim pieces, bumpers, and the grills for the car?

- Rob

Rob,

I may be telling you what you already know, but parts availability for ‘02’s — both used and new — is remarkably good for a car that ceased production 44 years ago.  BMW still produces lots of trim and pieces, and others, such as Blunt, Maximlllian, Jaymic, and Walloth & Nesch can provide lots more new parts, as well as non-OEM versions of parts still available from BMW. Members of this forum, on the other hand, have a nearly endless supply of used parts. Hoarders, all of them! ?

If you’re looking for an original airbox or Rentrop sport seats for a factory turbo, or for the embossed front hood trim on a 1966-67 1600-2, you’re going to have to really dig (and perhaps dig into your wallet as well, although not at the Biblical scale of Porsche parts). But it’s hard for me to think of a tii part I couldn’t find in a couple of days. Seriously.

Since you’re looking to do what sounds like a ground-up restoration anyway, if I were in your shoes, I’d focus on finding the least rusty chassis I could find (with matching-number engine... of course ?). Mouldings be damned! 

Good luck and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi, Steve -

Thanks for your thoughts.  I did a bare-metal job on a Malaga 02 15 years ago, and I miss it!  Most of the times I parked in downtown Boulder, CO I would return to an offer to buy it. That's why I am on the hunt again.  Good to know the parts situation is still good.  I took a detour down the early 911 path for a bunch of years.  I restored a Carrera RS and won first at the Porsche Parade in '17. 

Amen on your recommendations, same in the Porsche world.  I think I am hearing, California, here I come!  Here in Colorado, CA isn't too far to go for a nice chassis.  Keep in touch if you know one for me.

- Rob

rcsteinway@earthlink.net

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stein-man said:

Hi, Steve -

Thanks for your thoughts.  I did a bare-metal job on a Malaga 02 15 years ago, and I miss it!  Most of the times I parked in downtown Boulder, CO I would return to an offer to buy it. That's why I am on the hunt again.  Good to know the parts situation is still good.  I took a detour down the early 911 path for a bunch of years.  I restored a Carrera RS and won first at the Porsche Parade in '17. 

Amen on your recommendations, same in the Porsche world.  I think I am hearing, California, here I come!  Here in Colorado, CA isn't too far to go for a nice chassis.  Keep in touch if you know one for me.

- Rob

rcsteinway@earthlink.net

Compared to a prize-winning 911, this will be a relative walk in the park, Rob! I’ve been watching, and wanting you to find the right car — which is why I couldn’t resist my nosey interference above! There are lots of round taillight tii’s around, but rust is the single greatest challenge.

I have a ‘76 ‘02 I bought new, but in 2014 I bought a ‘73 tii, to restore. And, yes, I bought it out of California. No state has anywhere near the number of round taillight tii’s as California. And few states have as many low-rust classic cars as California. At the time, I paid more than what I perceived as market value for it. I’m glad I did!

Good luck and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...

This one just came up on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-42/

Unfortunately it has had the nose replaced and there is some question whether the engine is numbers matching but otherwise it fits your needs.  If you plan a complete nut and bolt restoration, I believe the snorkel nose can be addressed.  The engine number could be crucial though.  I'm not in the originality obsessed crowd but in the case of a Tii like this one, especially with your skills and how you want it to end up, I do think those things matter.  At the very least, watching this one will give you some idea of where the market is currently.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix