• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gearbox Identify (Just double checking)

rapandi

Hi Team,

There is a gentleman locally selling two gearboxes. He doesn't know what they are. One of them has "BMW 2002" written on it. I am interested in the one with the red arrow. 

I have done my research (through the FAQ) and i just need to double check (I will be inspecting it in person soon) - It looks like that may potentially be a 242 gearbox (4 speed) correct (Red arrow)? 

It has a reverse switch mounted at the back, a bolted clutch slave cylinder, the bell housing seems to have the correct mating surface to an M10 block. It also has that peep hole to view the flywheel through the bell housing. 

I am not sure what the other box is (doesn't have the peep hole to view flywheel in the bell housing). Unfortunately I don't have any other pictures. I will inspect them in person soon. 

Regards

Raj

InkedGetrag_LI.thumb.jpg.b2015601bc28674321fbb799e2ee684c.jpg

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

I would agree with Marty, the one in the rear with the arrow pointing to it looks like a stock 2002 4-speed, the other one I’m not sure...looks like M10 bell housing though.  Fortunately that 02 tranny is missing it’s slave cylinder which is a good thing, it’s a real pain to get it out usually.  So you can install a new one and not have to think about it for a long, long time!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT