• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

98% done on trans drop. Last 2" killing me!

Roverguy

Tilting the motor back helps alot. I put a bottle jack under the block, in front just ahead of the pan.

It can be pushed up til the distro almost hits the firewall ( thus the suggestion to take off the distro cap.)

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

I ran into similar issue and what helped me was to put a jack under the front of the motor and jack it up to the point where the dizzy (cap off) was almost on the firewall. (loosen motor mounts!)

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Before I just pulled my motor instead I searched the forums a lot because I needed to change my clutch... I vividly remember numerous people saying that the trick is to jack up the motor a few inches by putting a block of wood under the pan and using a floor jack.

'74 Verona

... and then once you are in that rabbit hole, you can refresh all the bushings in the front sub frame, ball joints, steering linkage, struts, springs, engine mounts, weld reinforcement into the left mount bracket, paint everything... see what you'll be missing if you only pull the transmission?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally found  some time last night.

15 minutes tilting front of engine as far up as i could and a bit of wiggling and out she came!

Thanks for the support gang. 

Now i need to do the to brg and rear main seal.

So, I know Bluntech is the place for parts, trying to compare Rockauto Sachs clutch part no as its almost $70 less.

That's for another thread.

Thanks again!

20190328_185114.jpg

• Like 1

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

Thanks on the garage comment.  We did a major rehab of the house about 5 years ago, screened porch, kitchen, fireplace. 

About 3 mos after we finished my bride thought it would be nice to finish the garage; which was already paneled, insulated and heated, so we did the final finish,  I have no basement, so it's my workshop all year round.

She hasn't parked her car in the garage in 5 years!  And we live in New England; God bless her!

P.S. the 911 is gone, funded the 02 & more!

20180729_102158.jpg

Garage+31420598049.jpg

• Like 3

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car