• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater

hudo12

24 minutes ago, Conserv said:

But assume, at minimum, that the A/C system needs a recharge. And it probably needs a recharge because of a leak. And without fixing the leak, and recharging it, you're not going to develop a very clear picture of what '02 A/C is capable of... ?

I’m not saying that ‘02 A/C is great, no, far from it. But working properly, it can make a big difference as to when you are comfortable driving your car.

Like the heater box, it's a bit of a slippery slope. Besides the auxiliary fan relay that Paul (@wegweiser) noted, some Behr A/C cars have a relay for the heater blower that is wired into the A/C system. These relays are under the dashboard. See the Behr A/C Installation Instructions and Replacement Parts brochures for more info (hint: there are two wiring diagrams).

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/150

Mike S. (@mike) additionally reports that his Frigiking-equipped '02 has a relay for the compressor. I'm only familiar with the Behr and Clardy units, neither of which has a relay for the compressor.

All in all, simply buy a copy of Rob Siegel's excellent book on automotive air conditioning, Just Needs a Recharge!

Regards,

Steve

All great info, the seller told me the a/c works fine but it did need a recharge. As far as the instructions., mmmm, I am illiterate when it comes to instructions. I am not mechanically inclined. But I do have the drive to learn. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hudo12 said:

....the seller told me the a/c works fine but it did need a recharge....

I’m smiling at this statement. Rob chose Just Needs a Recharge as the title for his book — I’m guessing — because every old car’s for-sale ad says precisely that, “Just needs a recharge”. It’s as ubiquitous, and probably as accurate as, “The check’s in the mail.” ?

But, beware, most older A/C systems are abandoned because they need more than simply a recharge, which is where Rob’s book enters the picture....?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’m smiling at this statement. Rob chose Just Needs a Recharge as the title for his book — I’m guessing — because every old car’s for-sale ad says precisely that, “Just needs a recharge”. It’s as ubiquitous, and probably as accurate as, “The check’s in the mail.” ?

But, beware, most older A/C systems are abandoned because they need more than simply a recharge, which is where Rob’s book enters the picture....?

Regards,

Steve

yes as a person new to this, I will take this into consideration. But for someone who has no clue, it is fun for me ( FOR NOW ) you guys impress me with ya'lls knowledge and willingness to share is greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, chargin said:

If you need a new fan motor you may be able to save a few hundred dollars by buying the exact same motor for a Porsche as seen here with the  Bosch #

02E25318-9D81-4DBB-8738-EB4A205AEBB6.thumb.jpeg.8d85340f22ccc26d8d5781e54271d508.jpeg

It’s rare that ‘saving money’ and ‘Porsche’ are in the same sentence. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

So I will be pulling the heater box. The hose circled in red is a hose from the back of the engine to the firewall into the heater box. How do I cap this off at the engine? I want to still drive my car while I work through the heater re build. Thanks !

B48CBEA9-921A-40DC-925A-F65CFE695ECF.jpeg

You may need to get a bit inventive, but loop it around to the heater core outlet line which is behind your washer bottle.

Best to let the coolant circulate tho I suppose you could cap the line at the head outlet and intake inlet. But don't ?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Get yourself another small hose and a nipple and connect the 2 together so you can still drive you car. I bought the Porsche motor for one of my cars and it spun backwards. Not a big deal, but you may have to reverse the wires. I've rebuild so many of these damn boxes that I can get it out now in under an hour. It's not that bad of a job to get them out. Refurbishing them is a little more work. Get a new fan motor. You can also buy a new plastic clear fan blade that works great. Make sure you heater valve is working correctly. I would suggest getting the heater valve repair kit from Blunt and doing it even if it's working.  It's much easier to get fix the heater valve while everything is out. Buy the heater refurb kit and replace all the foam on the flaps. Once you open it up it feels like Pandoras Box but it's really not that bad once you spend some time figuring out what everything does. Don't ignore cracks in you heater box (Plenum) JB Weld them to get a good seal. Take your time with it.  Best of luck. It's very rewarding once you are done. 

Edited by Jbaumshelter