• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing front subframe bushes ... SOB's

zambo

11 hours ago, zinz said:

For those folks replacing this bushing with the subframes still on the car, it’s super easy and there is absolutely no need for any PVC contraptions. 

To install the new bushing, liberally lube the bushing and subframe hole with brake caliper grease (Syl Glide at NAPA) (not harmful to rubber). Put the torsion bar thru the subframe hole and install the bushing onto the torsion bar with the front washer and nut. You only need to spin the nut on a few turns.

I laid on my back, with my foot in the fender well.  Grab the rear portion of the torsion rod, and pull back, using your legs for maximum effort.  You may need to twist the torsion rod to get it started, but I found both of mine went in with very minimal effort.

This was the simplest part of the front suspension rebuild, IMO.

Ed

Jeezus!  I'd love to see a video of that process,  Ed

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

1 minute ago, Mike A said:

Jeezus!  I'd love to see a video of that process,  Ed

Yeah same here. Having a hard time visualizing this method. Would love to see a photo, video or something 

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

I have no pictures. 

Car very secure on jackstands. I had all the suspension bits off the car (struts, sway bar, end links, etc... ) Big bushing was the first one being put back in. 

It’s simple

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

22 minutes ago, zinz said:

I have no pictures. 

Car very secure on jackstands. I had all the suspension bits off the car (struts, sway bar, end links, etc... ) Big bushing was the first one being put back in. 

It’s simple

I believe ya Ed....but I think I would wind up with a hernia

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Ahh I see Ed. I didn’t realize your suspension was disassembled. I just assumed everything was in place as mine is. I’m wondering if I would be better off dropping the whole subframe to replace those up front bushing. Everything seems so close to the front lip,  l honestly don’t know if I could get a PVC contraption with all thread, washers etc. with the suspension in place even if I wanted to.

Edited by ingramlee

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.