• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Sump/pump problems

Isaac

Hello guys!

So, 

I have a 1602, and instaled in there a 1.6L M10 from an e21 and after being fully assembly and fully running, i discovered a strong vibration in the steering wheel and in the car in general. The oil sump was different than the original engine and was hitting the under carriage.

I removed the e21 oil pan, and saw that they were a bit different (left original 02, right e21).

B39ABD2F-A4D1-4D11-B6A7-36769A20AB7E.thumb.jpg.d9f77dffc6d6ecf8824f38be75e9952a.jpg The e21 one was much deeper, and the e21 oil pump hitted the bottom of the 02 oil pan. So, i changed the pickup part of the pump, from the old engine the new.

13AB1FCF-0C78-49F7-AABD-6FB3A672A586.thumb.jpg.a0a156805b88ae1192cdeb6bd091c028.jpg

A73187C6-A72E-44EA-8EC0-7524DF10FAC8.thumb.jpg.03b479621aeb77a54ba1c1ae8ee950a5.jpg

22352E32-F578-4BEC-919F-CD7638B398FC.thumb.jpg.dba532204b0093c4e61845e925c958c7.jpg

Now they fit, but im concern if im going to have any problems with oil pressure, or something related. Also, the 02 (first engine picture) engine had a bar to the crankshaft support, which i didnt put, otherwise, i have to change crankshaft supports etc etc... Could this be critical also??

would i be better with an e21 hammered down oil pan and original oil pickup oil part(dont know the correct name)

Let me hear your opinions, 

Best regards!!

I think most people who are fitting new oil pumps to 02 M10s are using a later oil pump with the pick up changed and the 02 sump just as you have done. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

There are spec's in the blue book for the oil pump.  When I rebuilt the hot rod engine I just measured everything and it was within the spec's, so I used it.  As long as it measures good it should be good.  Oil pressure gauge maybe not a bad idea as well...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

You DO want to swap in that support bracket-

you can simply move it from one engine to the other,

as it sits under the main cap.  Take the bolts, too, as

they are longer.

Otherwise the pickup is prone to breaking off from vibration.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

21 minutes ago, TobyB said:

You DO want to swap in that support bracket-

you can simply move it from one engine to the other,

as it sits under the main cap.  Take the bolts, too, as

they are longer.

Otherwise the pickup is prone to breaking off from vibration.

t

The thing is:

the e21 crankshaft support that the bracket attaches does not have the holes for it.

i would have to change that support and the crankshaft bearing also.. 

am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

the e21 crankshaft support that the bracket attaches does not have the holes for it.

i would have to change that support and the crankshaft bearing also.. 

am I wrong?

Look close at the E21 bearing cap.  There is a separate support anchor bolted to the bearing cap.  Use that anchor and the bolts from the E21, they are longer.  Do not swap bearing caps or bearings.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

36 minutes ago, jimk said:

Look close at the E21 bearing cap.  There is a separate support anchor bolted to the bearing cap.  Use that anchor and the bolts from the E21, they are longer.  Do not swap bearing caps or bearings.

Ok, sounds good.

any idea of the tightening torque?

best regards to all

Check the specs found in the maintenance manuals on here.  You will need your torque wrench.  Get familiar with them, it's the straight scoop from BMW!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.