• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Idler arm

rapandi

Hi 

I have just reassembled my steering idler arm. Mine is for a RHD so it’s a little different however still similar to the LHD. 

When i I put it back together I used grease as medium to lubricate the shaft on the inside of the housing. Unlike the steering box itself I was not planning to put and oil in the idler arm. It doesn’t look like it is designed to take oil????? Or is it?

should I be putting steering box oil in the idler too? 

B8D881C5-6D2E-4465-98A9-DE1BAFFBEADB.thumb.jpeg.b019c4ac3b257e898a18c5c1d7ae6c37.jpeg

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

I have that same adjustable idler arm on my ‘67, 2000CS. Seen on right hand side here...

B9E0EE8D-76F6-490C-9ED6-017DB93FB42F.thumb.jpeg.3d7b1590a78d20b76cec88ff82264956.jpeg

It doesn’t need steering box lube, as there is no worm gear involved. If I remember, a simple 80w gear lube is specified. The rubber plug on the top is the fill port. And the adjustment screw is similar to a steering box. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool