• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help: Re-flanging driveshaft

doslucero

I'm in the process of doing a 5 speed swap.  I need to get the front end of a 3 bolt driveshaft and cut the end off of it and have it welded to my 2002 driveshaft.  My question is.  I'm finding a few 3 bolt driveshafts from e30's and e36's that use the same 3 bolt guibo but the driveshaft isn't the same diameter from end to end.  They are fatter diameter in the middle.  These e30 driveshafts are still skinny at the ends though.  I wondering if I can use these driveshafts and just cut the end where it it skinny and have it welded to my skinny 2002 driveshaft? 

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

See your other post.

The fat part of an early 80's 320i driveshaft is 60mm and the skinny part is 50mm, same as a 2002. You will need to cut off 3"-4" of 50mm tubing with the 320i flange, as the flange is really hard to get out by itself. You might want to find/make a short piece of tubing that fits inside both the flange tube and the driveshaft to center everything before welding. Good luck.

1 hour ago, andyleonard said:

See your other post.

The fat part of an early 80's 320i driveshaft is 60mm and the skinny part is 50mm, same as a 2002. You will need to cut off 3"-4" of 50mm tubing with the 320i flange, as the flange is really hard to get out by itself. You might want to find/make a short piece of tubing that fits inside both the flange tube and the driveshaft to center everything before welding. Good luck.

•  

Thanks for the measurements.  I've been looking for a 320 driveshaft but haven't been able to find one yet.  I have found a few e30 driveshafts.  wondering if they have the same 50mm ends.