• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear trailing arm bushings Helpppp

Gre@semonkey02

Looks right to me. The arm won’t slide in use because either direction it hits the shoulder of one bushing or the other. Snowmobile manufacturers started using this recently claiming it saves weight and reduces friction. I think it just reduces manufacturing costs. 

76FE6E32-748C-4225-B560-9FE1B0EEB9B9.jpeg

There's also these adjustables: https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-trailing-arm-bushing-pfr5-306gbx4

I'm also curious about these adjustable bushing setups. While they seem like a band-aid rather than a proper fix (welding in adjusters), if they hold adjustment they would save a lot of work.

Edited by Andrej

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

if they hold adjustment they would save a lot of work.

That's the problem.  They don't hold.  I used to get 2-3 calls a week from 2002, e30, e36 318ti, Z3 guys all complaining that their adjustable bushings wouldn't hold (kmacs/bavauto/etc.).  The loudest were SpecE30 guys.

I'm a big fan of the normal 2-piece IE urethane bushings.  Injection molded and ran strong for 50k of daily driving.

13 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

That's the problem.  They don't hold.  I used to get 2-3 calls a week from 2002, e30, e36 318ti, Z3 guys all complaining that their adjustable bushings wouldn't hold (kmacs/bavauto/etc.).  The loudest were SpecE30 guys.

I'm a big fan of the normal 2-piece IE urethane bushings.  Injection molded and ran strong for 50k of daily driving.

Pretty much what I figured. Not much friction area vs. a lot of rotational force.

I've got a set of the IE bushings waiting to go in. 20 years (give or take) on the previous poly bushings is probably enough.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

• 1 year later...