• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii runs but clicking and no compression on 3 and 4

I did not have any overheating issues unless I ran the Behr AC. Even then, that didn't overheat like crazy. It just seems that was too much of an extra load so the car would stall after letting off ht pedal returning to idle. It still did this after I had the car professionally tuned.

Anything special with cleaning the piston tops?

Thank you!

Not sure what your long term plans are, but here's plenty of exhaust options to consider, and they're in California.  Unfortunately it looks like the shorty headers are currently on backorder.  FWIW I also like the exhaust gasket with the integrated heat shield on it to protect the plug wires if you're replacing those gaskets anyway, but of course the tradeoff is reduced originality.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/CTGY/2002-exhaust.html

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sealions518 said:

Anything special with cleaning the piston tops?

Not really, try not to scratch them (don’t use anything too sharp or abrasive). Stuff some rag into the cylinders with the pistons at the bottom of the stroke just to minimise the crap that gets in (and let you clear it out by pulling the rag out quickly with the flick of a wrist). A shop vac is good to try and stop the carbon from getting everywhere. 

A good topic for getting a range of tips, I would think. I am sure people will chime in. 

• Thanks 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I might be tempted to find a diesel shop and have them test your injectors.

You don't show signs of lean overheating, but that type of failure is unusual on a 2002.

(gets up on soapbox) A wideband oxygen gauge is a really useful tuning and monitoring tool.

hth,

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL