• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Swaybar adjustment opinions needed

Hello,

Swapped from ST sways to Ireland, and was wondering how people are setting them up. I have the front on the outer holes, the rear started 3/4 from the ends like IE recommended to start. I slid the rears in about another 3/4 inch and it seems to have neutralized the understeer. After seeing pics from autocross it still seem to have more lean than I thought. I am thinking of moving the front to the inner holes and adjusting the rear accordingly. Which hole are most people using on the front?

The rest of my setup is Billy Sports and Bav Auto springs

Any feedback is appreciated,

Thanks,

John

Depending on how low your car is or more specifically your lower control arm’s initial angle, you want some lean to utilize the geometry angles of the camber from the movement or swing of the lower control arm.
"Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith is an excellent book on setting up suspensions, among other topics.. Enjoy [emoji4]
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Schnellvintage
additional info

Uhh, body roll just makes the lack of adequate front camber gain in roll worse.  That's why

we start with insanely high static front camber, and THEN add the

lower ball joint spacers.  If the 2002 had remotely enough camber gain, we'd LOVE to

start with about -1 degree.

As to the bar stiffness itself, the holes aren't going to change your lean angle enough to notice.

They're more for tuning under- and oversteer, as you've used them.

Body roll in a 2002 is reduced with springs, and the abovementioned camber spacers,

which help (to some degree) restore the front roll center to someplace reasonable.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Great info guys! I know I am camber challenged, I have the fixed camber plates that add a little, but nowhere near what is needed. This is mainly a street car, and going stiffer on springs isn’t what I would prefer to do, as it is already pretty firm, so I may just have to live with the compromise. 

Also so I haven’t gone adjustable camber plates as it is my understanding they raise ride height a bit. I have thought about Bavaria lower control arms though.