• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cab filled with smoke

59 minutes ago, njmolinelli said:

I down shifted at good rpm to 3rd and smelled bad and cab filled with little bit of smoke hmmm...

First gearrrrrrrrrrr  Seconnnnd gearrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Check you under the hood rubber seals and the two that the hood latch bar runs through, as well as the tubular cowl drains (3).  If those are not good, smoke can come through the heater box.

Also check the trunk seal, since fumes can get sucked in that way. 

• Haha 1

I have found that if your engine has a bit of blow by, a long stretch of overrun with a closed throttle and engine braking can push some blow by out the engine that doesn’t get drawn in as the throttle is shut. Definitely check you seals, elephant trunks etc but also have a look in your air cleaner for oil. I suspect that this wouldn’t be a problem with a stock air cleaner box rather than a smaller ‘performance’ filter (I am guessing your setup here). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Yea I think I found it burning oil on the exhaust manifold I’ll have to pressure wash it off see where it’s coming from .... but pretty oily under the manifold ... 

This was gunna be my guess, likely a leaky valve cover gasket, or one of your manifold studs has backed out or wasn’t lock-tite’d properly. Several of the holes for the studs are open to the inside of the head/oil, and that’s enough for a small, or very large amount of oil to come out depending on how much it’s backed out/ not well sealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk