• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automatic Transmission Hard Shifting

Lefty

10 hours ago, Lefty said:

...I’m thinking about buying a second tranny rebuilding it and having it ready. 

That’s what I would do if I had a 2002A.  And I would have multiple spare trans, just in case...

Like they say, they’re not making them anymore!  ?

Does the car have A/C?  A/C cars, like mine, are set up for a slightly higher idle because the activation of the A/C compressor slows the engine.  “Fast idle” cars are often set for a fast idle for a reason. If it doesn’t have A/C, is the automatic choke fully releasing after the car has warmed up?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Lefty,

As for the 2 barrel carb adjustment it would be helpful if you sent a picture if you don't know for sure what type/style it is. 

If you have the original Solex, I can't help at all other than to tell you to replace it with a Weber 32/36. That's just my opinion, some people love the original carb for all different reasons. I love my Weber because i'm not a rocket scientist.

Once you get the idle down to 1100 or 1000 RPM you hard shift should go away. It makes a big difference. Also, the correct tuning of you carb can have an effect on how the car shifts. It's not going to make it smother but it does change the timing of the shift when it's tuned correctly. (Maybe it just feels that way, incorrectly tuned automatics will feel very weak when shifting into 2nd & 3rd gears. Keep this in mind. The automatic cars preformed just slightly slower than the standard trans cars at 0-60 mph from the factory).

My 2 cents of advice getting started with you new car:

1 - Service everything including the Auto Trans

2 - Make sure all you safety equipment is working (Brakes, pads, brake lines, brake booster, Brake master cylinder, headlights, horn, mirrors wipers etc).

3. Check all the hoses everywhere! 40+ year hoses/fuel lines can cause all sorts of problems.

Actually, I'm just going to stop there and tell you to read this post below multiple times!!!! 

21 minutes ago, Conserv said:

That’s what I would do if I had a 2002A.  And I would have multiple spare trans, just in case...

Like they say, they’re not making them anymore!  ?

Does the car have A/C?  A/C cars, like mine, are set up for a slightly higher idle because the activation of the A/C compressor slows the engine.  “Fast idle” cars are often set for a fast idle for a reason. If it doesn’t have A/C, is the automatic choke fully releasing after the car has warmed up?

Regards,

Steve

How much are you asking for it?  How many miles are on it? Why did you remove it?
I removed it to install a manual transmission, no issues other than a few seals as listed before that could use replacement. I would do a pan gasket and filter. Unknown miles. Operates perfectly. I would want $75.00 for it BUT I would rather not ship it due to size and weight...I think I saw you are in California maybe? Couldn't be farther from me!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

3 minutes ago, dave-r said:

I removed it to install a manual transmission, no issues other than a few seals as listed before that could use replacement. I would do a pan gasket and filter. Unknown miles. Operates perfectly. I would want $75.00 for it BUT I would rather not ship it due to size and weight...I think I saw you are in California maybe? Couldn't be farther from me!!

What is it’s weight? If you can box it, maybe I can have a shipping company pick it up?  Is it from a 1974?  How long have to had it out?

What is it’s weight? If you can box it, maybe I can have a shipping company pick it up?  Is it from a 1974?  How long have to had it out?
No clue on weight right now, maybe 65 lbs, pure guess. It is from a '75. Has been out maybe month and a half. I would, like others said, place an add in Parts Wanted section and see if you can find one local first, unless you have an "in" with a shipping company shipping would be expensive.

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

6 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Lefty,

If he doesn't want to ship it, try posting a request in the "parts wanted" section. You are in Cali....It's like, 2002 parts heaven out there compared to us out here in Middle earth. 

Good idea. I’m still getting used to the site. Thanks

@Lefty what part of San Diego?  I live up in the north Escondido area.  I know of several really good resources around the county and would be happy to fill you in.

Mike

• Like 1

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914