• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Widen aluminum wheels?

Harv

Where can I find a place that widens aluminum wheels. 

Say, for example I find a cool set of BBS RA wheels but they are waaaay too skinny. I’d like them to be 9 or 10 inches wide. 

Anyone? Buler?

john

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

aluminum wheels. 

That includes a LOT of various options, some far more easily modified than others.

Obviously, a wheel that can be disassembled is much easier to modify than a one piece.

Personally, being a cheapskate who doesn't like dying, I tend to find the dimensions that 

do what I want, and not modify anything.  Because welding an aluminum casting scares me

for structural things.  Something about stress reversals, notch sensitivity, and wheels coming apart.

One of the neater things I've seen is taking a one piece wheel, and making it into a 3 piece. It has to have the

right construction, and it's labor intensive, yadda yadda, but your skinny little 13" Libre centers look really sexy inside

a couple of 15x4" barrels....

my take,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby,

in some cases, they can machine away the barrels and leave a lip on the wheel center. Then they drill the wheel center for bolt on wheel halves. That is way better than welding a cast part.

D

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

Wasn't that what I said in the last paragraph?  There WERE a lot of words before that, tho...

<edit:One of the neater things I've seen is taking a one piece wheel, and making it into a 3 piece.

What I meant was 'cutting the center out of a one- piece wheel and using it for the center of a 3 piece'>

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

Wasn't that what I said in the last paragraph?  There WERE a lot of words before that, tho...

t

I cannot confirm nor deny that I fully read your post...  I am like Ricky Bobby, I'm not a thinker... 

• Like 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...