• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meyle Guibo's Rubbish?

Sharktrainer

2 hours ago, elfhearse said:

If I shim the center bearing down with enough washers it looks parallel but no threads for heat shield remain.

Do the ear bending on the center bearing to get the shaft in line with the trans/engine or the money spent on the new guibo will be wasted.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:57 PM, elfhearse said:

I'm replacing a FEBI $46 (on left in picture below) after about 5K miles/one driving season.  New BMW guibo/flex disc/universal joint on right (List price is $155!) will be installed.

I think I do have alignment issues with the driveshaft flange and Getrag 245 flange as they are not perfectly parallel when viewing the rotation.  I shimmed down the driveshaft center bushing as far as possible to still leave a few threads for the nut/heatshield/2nd nut so I'll see if that helps the life span of the BMW guibo. 

GUUIBO comparo OEM vs FEBI.JPG

and that is why tranny to front of driveshaft alignment is CRITICAL.  if they aren't as perfect as you can get them....you will keep replacing flex disks and folks will keep saying this or that manufacturer sucks.  ALIGNMENT!!!!!  you say you have lowered the center bearing as far as you think you can go...have you raised the back of the tranny as far as it will go?  is is straight side to side?

2xM3

ALIGNMENT!!!!!  you say you have lowered the center bearing as far as you think you can go...have you raised the back of the tranny as far as it will go?  is is straight side to side?

Driveshaft is straight side to side.  Driveshaft is higher than rear flange on the 5 speed transmission.   I added a third 1/16" washer to lower the center bearing and the flanges appear to be parallel when rotating the driveshaft.  I'll put it all back together this weekend.  Still waiting on a stainless downpipe from IE to finish up the Spring project.  

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

MTC guibo is already failing, heh. Can hear it ever so slightly grazing shift table. All was well until I trolled a rolling start race on the Mokulele Highway last night against a tuned 370Z Nismo and a blown 67 Charger, to which I destroyed them both. Had just upgraded the fuel delivery system earlier in the day to larger fuel pump and boost reference fuel pressure regulator. Hoping my fuel cell actually ships this time from the mainland because new fuel pump doesn't like to suck fuel from the low fuel tank.

The look of shock on the 370Z drivers face was priceless when he rolled up at the stop light and he kept asking WTF is under the hood, to which I just just smiled.

I'm surprized that only guibos are failing. You still have the small gearbox, diff and drive shafts? I'm certain that if you find a quibo that will hold up you'll start blowing those.

In your pants I would just start planning a swap for 262 tranny and the big guibo comes included.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Just the stock 4 speed it came with. Have an E30 325is gear box but it won't work from what I've read.

The guy that runs the SCCA here on Maui has an e30 M3 drivetrain that he wants to sell, but wants way too much for it. 

Edited by Sharktrainer