• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome will turn into Rust

DEZIMADE

I do not like POR-15.

The prep work is vast.  The advertising suggest you can just paint it on.  NOPE.  You need to de-scale the steel, wash it with their prep product (Metal Ready - mild acid etching degreaser) and wash that with soap and water.  When the metal is TOTALLY dry, then you can mix and apply the POR-15.  If there is any moisture on the substrate, the POR-15 will not adhere there, and you will get a bubble.  And you will get rust under that bubble.

Many years ago I painted an tin lantern with POR-15.  The lantern was rusty.  I cleaned it, and applied the POR-15.  The lantern was left outside, and the POR-15 was bubbling within a year and was flaking within 2 years.

I did use POR-15 on the floors of my 914.  OMG, that has to be 12 years ago now.  There is one bubble where a drop of sweat dripped, but other then that it has worked.  But I was WAY meticulous with the prep work.  

For the money, I think there are better products out there.  Once you have descaled the rust, I like spray epoxy much better.

Zach  

Edited by vacca rabite

I've been using a bronze zinc chromate.  Seems to stop tinworms in their tracks when applied to surface rust areas that have been cleaned.  Backs of bumpers, subframes etc are good examples.  I removed all the sound deadening goop the factory poured in the floorboards and recoated with the bzc, didnt have rust there before and dont have any now.  been about 10 years, same for backs of bumpers and recently did the rear subframe and trailing arms.  That bridge primer mentioned above sounds like it has real potential.  If you cant find bzc, go for the bridge primer, but read instructions, some of these exotic paints cant be applied over commercial rust converters.

• Like 2

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Industrial paint systems have been using zinc chromate for eons.  The structural group where I worked always used it.  Find in in rattle can at West Marine.  It isn't cheap.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.