• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What gauge wire for 5 series fuel pump in Tii?

floatinghead

I used some wire I had in my box of parts, probably 14 gauge ??

An idea is to make a couple of short leads like this.  The spade connectors fit right inside the existing plug .......

pics4182010004.jpg&key=37db058bde9715583

If you haven't seen this ......

http://www.my2002tii.com/tii-fuel-pump_how-to.htm

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 2

Basically the size of the fuse and the wiring in a circuit should be aligned. The idea is that you need the wiring sized so that the fuse will blow before the wiring melts. Assuming that the new pump uses the same fuse size (sure it does) then make sure that the wiring can carry more current than the fuse blows at. 

Sorry, circular and not very informative answer. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

If you know the current draw of the pump, you could go to a table of gauge versus current to figure out what is required.  I get lazy sometimes so what I often do is go to the wiring diagram of the donor car and see what BMW used.  Fortunately, BMW wiring diagrams show the wire size information right there on the diagram, so it's a very easy process.

My suggestion, therefore, is to go to RealOEM, punch in the part number and see where this pump is used (often, multiple models/years).  Then, search for a wiring diagram on the Internet for that model vehicle and find the pump on there.

• Like 1

If your not going to change the whole wires just go with the gauge used on the car, 14 gauge is probably right, no point in using a heavier wire at the end of a light one.

P.S. the 5 series pump has been used before and the OEM wiring harness hasn't been a problem.  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944