• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie....Kind of.

GASBARRA

Ok, so I have lurked on this site for about 4 years now reading hundreds of nights way past my bedtime. It all started for me at 16 (now 51) when I bought a verona 2002. I don't even remember the year because I had to promptly take it back to the shifty lot I bought it from because I couldn't get it to pass smog in California. 5 years ago I purchased this 1971 1600 riviera and drove it for a couple of years. It is a 4 speed car but the PO put an automatic in it?? So I have gathered many of the parts I need to start "improving" it. I seem to be like a lot of 1600 owners here, 2.0 on an engine stand and 1.6 in the car. WHICH ONE. I really like the idea of the stock block in there. Something super cool about a performance 1.6. Faster is cool too with the 2.0. I would like to use the 2.0 crank and either forged or 1800ti pistons??

The reading and searching on this site....thanks for that. The good and bad opinions. So here I go.

"My name is Charlie and I am an 02aholic"

20160417_205406.jpg

• Like 1

First of all, welcome to FAQ participation--you already are a member of the 02 fraternity/sorority!

Odd that a PO would have installed an automatic in a 1600.  At least in the US, 1600s never came with an automatic tranny.  Switching back to stick should be fairly easy--the only fly in the ointment would be the clutch linkage--mechanical on a 1600 vs hydraulic on a 2002.  So you'll have to decide which you want to use.   If you have a 2002 tranny it might be easier to use the hydraulic linkage.  You'll need a 2002 pedal bucket to have the correct mount for the clutch master cylinder, and a 2002 brake fluid reservoir with the clutch hydraulic fluid supply nipple, and of course the remainder of the linkage and hydraulic bits, but they're readily available.

RE 2 liter or 1.6 liter engine.  From the outside, with the air cleaner installed they look identical--you have to look at the engine number to see which block you're using--so do what you like.  Your car most likely has the stock 4.11 diff (vs 3.64 for a 2002) to it'll accelerate rather smartly with a 2 liter engine but will be revvy on the highway.  Perhaps an overdrive 5 speed?

Anyway, it's your car, so do whatcha lilke.  But if the 1600 block matches the car's VIN, keep it if you end up using the 2 liter block--for the next owner someday who may want to put it back stock.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1600s never came with automatic. There's said that there were 100pc of 1802automatic made for Israel in 1974. And here is one convertible owned by the 2nd owner today who says that this one car has been factory-equipped with auto. I wonder where the space in the manual tunnel was found.

Engine blocks with 84mm bore (1502, 1602) have got two or three freeze plugs, 89mm blocks (1802, 2002) have noticeable more.

The mechanic clutch linkage disappeared in late 1969, I think. I've seen only one car with this but the clutch housing had the eye for the slave cylinder already.

hen

PO cut out clutch pedal with a hack saw and kick down cable is creative at best.  I have a 5sp overdrive I would like to put in it with the 1.6 or 2.0.  Slots in air dam were created for auto trans cooling lines and 320i radiator.  I stopped driving it when I decided to pull rusty fenders off and replace. Patched drivers side A pillar and patched driver side rocker, so rust is sorted, sorta, until I find more.  Now I just have one more house project then one of the blocks go to the machine shop.  Me with this car is like my wife with paint colors....

2 hours ago, GASBARRA said:

I stopped driving it when I decided to pull rusty fenders off and replace. Patched drivers side A pillar and patched driver side rocker, so rust is sorted, sorta, until I find more. 

what does it need to be back on the road and enjoyable again?

(besides brand new motor and stuff)

what shape is the one that's in it in?

how soon could you have it roadworthy, if ya had to?

There is a riviera 02 in my area and I stopped to talk to the owner, while he was fueling up.

He said there were more than 600k miles on his 1600 engine!

I only saw him that one time.  His car had a very utilitarian fun-ctional appeal.

Still getting used and appreciated, in spite of showing its age.  Wabisabi car.

13 hours ago, GASBARRA said:

"My name is Charlie and I am an 02aholic"

My name is Tom and I think I am multi-holic

The 2002 has provided many hours of blissful escape.

As has this site.

It sounds like maybe your 02 addiction has been in remission.

Please keep us posted with your progress.

Feel free to post more photos.

Under the hood would be fun to see.

If I put the battery back in it will run and drive.  Just no interior anymore.  Here are a few pics under the hood. And one of the interior panels.  I don't think the grey was stock but I like it and am going to have new panels in the same color done along with the recaros.  Dash is also from a later model.  VIN 1572382 was manufactured 12/23/1970 and delivered to Hoffman New York City 1/14/1971.

1600 001.JPG

1600 002.JPG

1600 003.JPG

1600 004.JPG

• Like 1