• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It doesnt shift!!!

Hello every one, 

I finaly had the chance to put my missing bushing in the selector rod, what a huge difference that made!! But, as I was taking the car out for a quick run I tryed to engage into reverse and it grinded like hell as with first gear.

I mean it was fine until i messed with the shifter rod. Is it possible that the pivot that connects the rod to the gearbox moved or something like that?

The car engages all gears when its not working. 

Please let me know what do you think.

Edited by ivomfdias

How fast was your engine turning at the time? You will get a good grind out of it if your engine is running faster than idle when you push it into reverse. No synchromesh. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

It's your clutch, I strongly suspect...  check to see if you're down a bit on brake fluid...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I know the odds are low but I have to bring it up....  any chance that the shifter got put in backwards and the shaft is hitting the front of the opening and keeping the selector rod from moving far enough? 

I've seen this in the past.  I had a customer back in the day with a 320i and the previous shop he took it to put the shifter in backwards.  He didn't know it was wrong but hated the fact that his knuckles kept hitting his console when he shifted gears.  We were doing some maintenance stuff on his car and I swapped the shifter back to normal.  He called us the next day all excited and asked what we did.  Made his day bigly.

Dan

Edited by dang