• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member in the Atlanta area

mataku527

2 hours ago, grotflo said:

Hey Mike, glad to hear there's another Atlanta-area 2002 owner. I'm in Grant Park and I own a '73. What year is yours?

Garrett

I just got a ' 76.  I have been learning a lot about it and just found out about a community garage out in West midtown that gives you access to air tools and a lift, I'm hoping this will make it easier to work on my car compared to my condo.  Do you work on your car at all?  Any chance you'd be interested in working on them together? 

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

Brian Kee hosts a great Cars and Coffee in the Athens area.  BMW's, Porsche's, VW's and many other classic cars attend.

Interesting. Maybe I'll try to make it out.  Do you attend the events? Any 2002s show? 

Congrats on your new purchase.  I had a '75 for a few years before I traded it in for a Roundie.  Is the garage you're talking about OLOBA Rennsport?  I have a friend with an E30 who just joined there.  I think it's like $100/month and they have air tools and two lifts. 

I work on my car when I can, but with a young baby at home, it's tough to find time these days.  I'd be happy to meet sometime and see if I can give any pointers.  I'm no expert, but I've done a bunch of projects on my cars so I may be able to share some knowledge.

Garrett

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

1975 BMW R90S (Silver Smoke)

4 minutes ago, grotflo said:

Congrats on your new purchase.  I had a '75 for a few years before I traded it in for a Roundie.  Is the garage you're talking about OLOBA Rennsport?  I have a friend with an E30 who just joined there.  I think it's like $100/month and they have air tools and two lifts. 

I work on my car when I can, but with a young baby at home, it's tough to find time these days.  I'd be happy to meet sometime and see if I can give any pointers.  I'm no expert, but I've done a bunch of projects on my cars so I may be able to share some knowledge.

Garrett

That would be greatly appreciated.  It's 50 a month if you sign up for a year, which I will do.  I live in a condo so have limited access to space.  I would love to get your help on random thing every now and then and would even come to you.  i'll send you a PM

On 5/30/2017 at 11:09 PM, mataku527 said:

I just got a ' 76.  I have been learning a lot about it and just found out about a community garage out in West midtown that gives you access to air tools and a lift, I'm hoping this will make it easier to work on my car compared to my condo.  Do you work on your car at all?  Any chance you'd be interested in working on them together? 

Interesting. Maybe I'll try to make it out.  Do you attend the events? Any 2002s show? 

I have been to one once while visiting relatives in Athens. Brian doesn't seem to post here too much, look up Vintage Werks.

https://www.facebook.com/athenscarsandcoffee/

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I haven't been to Athens yet, but have been wanting to visit. I'll see if I can coordinate my trip 

Have any of you had experience with the t-22 inspection form? I want to get my tags and it requires this form to be filled out by a law officer. Do I just go to the police station? 

I never had to fill out the t-22 form for either of my cars.  I can't remember why they have the form on the required list.  Maybe if you don't have a title?  Just be ready to explain to the office that 2002 is the model, not the year.  They're confused every time :)

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

so if I apply for a title, I'll have to pay the title fee, which comes out to about 500$.  But since we are title optional, I can do w/o the title and just get it registered which would then require that form.

I'll be ready to explain as it has already caused a lot of confusion among my peers.. haha.  

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure.  Georgia doesn't require a title for 1985 and older cars, but it's never a bad idea to get one.  According the the DMV website, that t-22 form is required when you are registering a vehicle without a title.  If you already have a title, the process is much easier.

5930234e33e6e_ScreenShot2017-06-01at10_21_43AM.png.893cdca4ab6cd943ef574ba411ab16cf.png

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if you got that title/tag issued sorted - but the T22 is pretty simple. You will need to have the car present for the Officer to see/inspect the VIN plate/etc. You do not need to go to the local station - you can call and ask for the Officer to meet you at your residence or specific location. Depending on the department's call volume, you may need to wait for one to meet you. VIN verification is pretty low on the priority list of calls.

Not sure if you've joined the FB group yet, but there's an Atlanta Area BMW 2002 club group page.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:07 AM, mataku527 said:

so if I apply for a title, I'll have to pay the title fee, which comes out to about 500$.  But since we are title optional, I can do w/o the title and just get it registered which would then require that form.

I'll be ready to explain as it has already caused a lot of confusion among my peers.. haha.  

I had both my '73 and '76 titled in Georgia while we lived there.  $500, which, I presume, includes the one-off personal property tax, seems like a lot more than I paid for the '73, which I purchased after they moved from annual personal property tax to the one-off upfront payment.  If you haven't, I'd recommend you go down to your county DMV and verify the numbers.  (The taxable value assigned by DMV to my 42-year-old '73 tii was virtually nothing.)

And a title is nice to have!  Sure, if you will absolutely own your car until the day you die, and will never move out of Georgia, it's a moot point.  But many potential car buyers from outside of Georgia -- and other title-optional states -- cringe when they hear "no title".

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for the responses.  I ended up going to the DMV with all my paperwork in order and they were able to calculate the title transfer cost.  It ended up being only 100 dollars or so, I'm not sure what they use to calculate as when I look online it gives a totally different value.  Either way, I'm happy and got my title.  I'll definitely check out the facebook group.

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors