• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switching out the clock for a tachometer? (Rev meter)

APka

The link did not work for me.  In any case, if they can supply what you need, that is great. 

Something to consider.  Most of the 02 community are a good bunch.  I vaguely recall a French '02 club that might be worth contacting and there  appears to be a strong contingent of groups in Holland, Germany and certainly the UK.  If your gauge works, you may find someone local (to you) either to swap the gauge out "short term" or permanently.  Someone might fancy a gauge that reads mph.

Not that W-Nesh couldn't be helpful, but aren't there other vendors, e.g., Jaymic?

Or you might try this forum's classified listings and post your own "WTB" want to buy ad.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/65593-french-02-life/

http://www.bmw02club.nl/

http://www.bmw-02-club.de/

https://www.bmw2002.co.uk/

Good luck.

On 2017-5-19 at 4:05 PM, avoirdupois said:

It is simple enough to change speedometers.  But it is equally simple to leave the gauge as-is, and place a few marks indicating relevant (corresponding) KPH on the gauge glass or its face.  Since speedometers were calibrated to match the rear axle ratio for each car, if your replacement gauge is for a vehicle with a different axle ratio than yours, the gauge will read inaccurately.

Hello again ! 

Would there be much difference putting a 2002 KPH speedometer in a 1502 that was previously MPH?

2 hours ago, APka said:

Hello again ! 

Would there be much difference putting a 2002 KPH speedometer in a 1502 that was previously MPH?

I have to hedge my response, without seeing your present gauge set.  I am aware of a 1600 that was using a gauge set from a '73 '02, so unless yours is markedly different than the 1600, the answer would be yes, the gauges are relatively interchangeable.  However, as I mentioned before, the speedometer is calibrated specifically to a given rear axle ratio, e.g. 3.64/1  or 4.11/1 etc., so unless the replacement matches your original speedometer-rear gear set, you will have an inaccurate gauge.  Each speedometer typically bears a marking with a "W" that indicates the matching gear set.  So far as I am aware, the markings have nothing to do with wheel size and only deal with the gear set in your differential.  Determining that information can be as simple as counting teeth or wheel rotations per drive shaft rotations.  It might even be marked in the owners manual or elsewhere on the vehicle.  This information has been posted several times on this forum. See, e.g., https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/54319-speedometer-stamp-number/

3.36:1 diff -- W=?? speedo (Turbo)

3.45:1 diff -- W=1.24 speedo

3.64:1 diff -- W=1.297 speedo (W=1.30 is close enough)

3.90:1 diff -- W=1.39 speedo ('76 49-State 2002)

3.91:1 diff -- W=1.393 speedo (E21 320is LSD)

4.10:1 diff -- W=1.4 speedo (1.461 calculated)

4.11:1 diff -- W=1.4 speedo (1.465 calculated)

4.38:1 diff -- W=1.559 speedo (calculated)

This assumes the same tire size in all cases except the Turbo.

There is no implied warranty on this information.

post-41123-0-78051700-1375027559_thumb.j

The other answer to your question about speedometer "differences" involves cosmetics.  You need to do a cursory search regarding instrument clusters and gauge faces.  There were three distinct instrument facia styles. (Early through 1971; Mid, through 1973 and Late, 1974 through '76.)   They were mixable, but one style would probably look out of place with the others, which is why most folks that mix and match gauges tend to stay within the same style or they change the entire instrument cluster (3 gauge sets).

I know nothing about registration or certification procedures in France, but I remind you that the local community of 02 enthusiasts would probably be your best bet. For all I know, someone might even loan you an instrument cluster, or even a broken gauge with correct markings, if a visual confirmation is all that is required.  If your gauge works, re-marking it would seem the best of both worlds.  Besides, one has to wonder about vehicles that are approaching 50 years of age and whether a certain amount of exemptions exist in that regard.  The headlights are understandable.. 

Bonne chance !
Edited by avoirdupois

I'm sure, for about $20 you could source a vinyl decal for your speedometer, in MPH...

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks for the advice !
How would I know if the axle ratio is different? Did they differ from 1502/1602/2002? Or did they different depending on stock wheel size?

I was initially thinking about the option of possibly putting some markings on, but I am currently in the process of registering my car in France (It is a UK RHD car with MPH speed), and for the darned European homologation conformity, BMW must verify that I have the correct head-lights (those are simpl enough to change), and I need a KPM speedo. BMW no longer sells speedometers in France...  So I am looking into buying one, but people in France like to sell them for crazy prices... *sigh*

I've got a spare KPH speedo here in Freiburg, Germany that I'd give ya a fair deal on. It's the later cross-hair style thou. Should be in working order, but I'll double check just in case if you're interested. I actually have a complete gauge pack if needed, but it's for an automatic w/clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

I've got a spare KPH speedo here in Freiburg, Germany that I'd give ya a fair deal on. It's the later cross-hair style thou. Should be in working order, but I'll double check just in case if you're interested. I actually have a complete gauge pack if needed, but it's for an automatic w/clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking for a KPH speedo along these lines... Despite having a manual 1502... I have the clock :(

20170522_104238.jpg

20170522_104242.jpg

On 19.5.2017 at 8:21 PM, APka said:

How would I know if the axle ratio is different? Did they differ from 1502/1602/2002? Or did they different depending on stock wheel size?

They did differ. 1502 had 4.11:1 ratio.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I'm sure I could find a speedo (1502 crosshair, kph) from my stash for you but I don't know about shipping. Finnish Post is crazy expensive and I've never sent anything abroad...looking at website it would cost 29€ minimum to France.

On the other hand I don't think a used speedo is worth much so it wouldn't add much to that.

But there should be some in France too, maybe Nick Vyse will join...

Edited by Tommy

18 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm sure I could find a speedo (1502 crosshair, kph) from my stash for you but I don't know about shipping. Finnish Post is crazy expensive and I've never sent anything abroad...looking at website it would cost 29€ minimum to France.

On the other hand I don't think a used speedo is worth much so it wouldn't add much to that.

But there should be some in France too, maybe Nick Vyse will join...

Please let me know if you can find a 1502 speedo like mine ! Let me know how much you would want for it !

I have 180km/h speedo with crosshair. That is from 1502, 4.11:1 diff and has stamping W=0.91.

Also have 200km/h speedo without crosshair but similar style otherwise. That is probably from 2002, 3.64 diff, W=0.8.

W-markings seem to convert like km's to miles with factor x1.6. So if you have W=1,4 MPH it should be replaced with W=0,91 KPH.

I guess 50€ should cover the expense and a beer for me.

22 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I have 180km/h speedo with crosshair. That is from 1502, 4.11:1 diff and has stamping W=0.91.

Also have 200km/h speedo without crosshair but similar style otherwise. That is probably from 2002, 3.64 diff, W=0.8.

W-markings seem to convert like km's to miles with factor x1.6. So if you have W=1,4 MPH it should be replaced with W=0,91 KPH.

I guess 50€ should cover the expense and a beer for me.

I would be very interested in your 1502 speedo (Do you have any photos?) ! Allow me to get in touch with you somehow so we can arrange this ! Possible life saver haha

Here, the glass is dirty but it looks perfect behind. You could e-mail me your details so I could check the shipping.

tomi.heinonen(at)konecranes dot com

P5230064.jpg

P5230066.jpg

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Here, the glass is dirty but it looks perfect behind. You could e-mail me your details so I could check the shipping.

tomi.heinonen(at)konecranes dot com

P5230064.jpg

P5230066.jpg

Email sent ! Let me know if you get it to make sure I used the correct email...