• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Problem, Please help!

Columbo

My 1975 2002 is refusing to start since I last parked it.

It's got fuel going into the carb (32/36).  I took the coil wire off and placed it next to some metal in the engine and as I crank, I do not see a spark...UNTIL I STOP CRANKING, and then get a single spark.  I might mention it has the IE distributor with their electronic ignition pre-installed.  It was running great until today.

Wouldn't you know it.  I just put some new Rota RB wheels on with new tires and can't take her for a spin!  Please help.

Another clue:  With a spark plug removed from the engine and connected to the spark plug wire, I can move the ignition switch from Fhart to halt, and get a single spark at the plug.  I get no spark while cranking.

My guess is the Pertronix type gizmo has failed. The single spark is actually you turning off the ignition. If it does this consistently then this means that the gizmo has failed closed circuit. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

9 minutes ago, Simeon said:

My guess is the Pertronix type gizmo has failed. The single spark is actually you turning off the ignition. If it does this consistently then this means that the gizmo has failed closed circuit. 

+1

This. Actually quite common for those to fail, IMO points are actually more reliable.  I went with the Crane optical ignition about 10 years ago and it has been running like a champ ever since.

74 Golf

I called Ireland Engineering and after describing the problem, they offered to send me a replacement.  i didn't't even have to ask.  Good on them but it also tells me it probably isn't the first call they've had.

Do not confuse the Ireland Engineering unit's electronic ignition with a Pertronix. IT IS NOT A PERTRONIX! It apparently is common for the IE triggering unit to fail, but, again, IT IS NOT A PERTRONIX! They are two separate units made by two separate manufacturers! The only Pertronix I have had fail are those that I have miswired or had a coil and ballast resistor whose series resistance is below 3 ohms, which is explicitly warned against in the Pertronix documentation. I hate to see Pertronix get a bad rap because people think they're what's in the IE distributors. I know that you said "Pertronix type," but people consistently make this mistake.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

45 minutes ago, thehackmechanic said:

Do not confuse the Ireland Engineering unit's electronic ignition with a Pertronix. IT IS NOT A PERTRONIX! It apparently is common for the IE triggering unit to fail, but, again, IT IS NOT A PERTRONIX! They are two separate units made by two separate manufacturers! The only Pertronix I have had fail are those that I have miswired or had a coil and ballast resistor whose series resistance is below 3 ohms, which is explicitly warned against in the Pertronix documentation. I hate to see Pertronix get a bad rap because people think they're what's in the IE distributors. I know that you said "Pertronix type," but people consistently make this mistake.

This is a fair comment. The problem is that Pertronix has become synonymous with this kind of ignition trigger. It also rolls off the tongue a bit easier than 'magnetic proximity ignition trigger' or similar. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I'm guessing the replacement IE sends you won't be any different the one that just failed you...and it will leave you stranded just as the first one did. I bought a HotSpark "magnetic proximity ignition trigger" :)  to replace a burned out Ireland unit and the HotSpark has worked for years now... I keep that dizzy as a spare and it's running nicely in my 2000CS at the moment, till I install the bluetooth 123Ignition.  

I think the HotSparks are about $45.

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-BMW.htm

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool